cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net

andygparker
Tuning in

who do you contact if you have an issue with virgin.net email address.  i do not have virgin media account i have an on virgin.net email address that i just receive mail into and pick it up using pop (mail.virgin.net) this has been working until yesterday where it is now asking for a password. as i do not have a virgin media account the helpdesk could not help and could not advise where to go to get help.  i believe the account my have been compromised but as i have nowhere to change the password i am a bit stuck. any help as to where i can change password or who a can speak to about the account. i know the account has not been deleted and i do not get a bounce back if i email it.

12 REPLIES 12

Sololobo
Superstar

Refer to this post for more information:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

You may still have access via an email client, webmail is usually the first to go, but don't rely on that being the case.

As you are no longer a VM broadband customer your virgin.net email account account is being closed.

Set up a non ISP email service and transfer to that ASAP.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

thank you for your reply.  i have read that post and i understand that i have 

"Orphan Accounts

Sadly some email accounts have remained open long after the cut off dates these are termed orphan accounts.  However just because you still have access to these accounts, it doesn't mean that using them is a good idea.

The terms and conditions clearly state that while the service is free, you must have an active internet account with Virgin Media in order to be entitled to use of any of the additional services they supply.  This means that users continuing to rely on these addresses as their main point of contact risk losing access to the email service at any time WITHOUT WARNING, as Virgin Media can and do clean up these accounts."

and if virgin media has deleted the account that is ok. but at the moment i don't think they have. I have sent email to that account and it is not being returned. i do think the account has been compromised. and password has been reset. also my other virgin.net email set up at the same time on same account are still working.

i need to find out if the account has been deleted or how to change the password 

thanks in advance 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your POP3 settings were configured with the recent: prefix to username try removing it.

mail.virgin.net has not been a recommended setting for some time. Recommended settings follow:

Incoming  

Account typeIMAP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port993
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com

Account typePOP3
Server port995
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostpop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing

Account typeSMTP
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

[source: Email settings change https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438]

The forum team can take a few hours / days to respond

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thanks for the reply.

may setting have not been changed in over 5 years there are

andygparker_0-1625496981032.png

i have also not made any changes to my pc. i am now just being  prompted for password when trying to collect emails

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andygparker wrote:

i am now just being  prompted for password when trying to collect emails

That's  when you try to pick up your emails via an email app or client. Unfortunately the error message that email apps supply is often not the real issue. If the app fails to be authenticated by the server for whatever reason when it tries to download emails, apps often simply report that it's a password problem when in fact there a range of possible reasons for the failure.

To help trouble shoot the problem, what happens if you try signing  into your virgin.net address directly via the VM website? Try using this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/     If your email account is still live you should still be able to access it via the website

Broadly speaking:

1) if you can sign in and access the account ok via the website then the problem almost certainly must be a setting in the email app you are using.

2) If you cannot sign in via the website then it's a problem with the virgin.net email account itself. The first thing to try is see if you can reset the password. Click use this link https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password enter your full virgin.net address and then follow the prompts.

Post back with the results especially the error message that comes up if you cannot access your email account via the website. 🤔

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thanks for your help everyone.

when i try to log in to portal i get the follow

andygparker_0-1625506967437.png

i have to assume that my account has been deleted. but i have never tried to log into this portal before. and if they have deleted the account then should i not get a bounce back when i email it? i just wish someone at virgin media can confirm they have deleted the account. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andygparker 

The VM Forum Team staff should be able to confirm the account status when they reach this thread, which is likely to be tomorrow afternoon.

It appears that the account is currently in a limbo state.  If that is the case the Forum Team should be able to arrange for it to be closed completely.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

MonkeySee019
On our wavelength
Call talktalk 😛

You can't get any help. you need a VM account to keep the acount. VM can delete the email thats all they can do

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andygparker wrote: if they have deleted the account then should i not get a bounce back when i email it?

It does seem that when VM "delete" an orphan account they start by blocking access to the Webmail account but do not actually delete the mailbox itself. That gives rise to the situation you have with your account.

However in most cases the email account is still accessible via an email app or client however it seems that's not the case with your account. As @Graham_A  has said, your account seems to be in limbo. Not accessible but presumably still able to receive  new emails which is strange.

Just out of interest you could enter your full email address here and see if it comes up "good" or "bad". https://tools.emailhippo.com/  (It's an email verification tool which checks whether a mailbox exists for that email address,)

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.