cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net orphan account

FossilLight
On our wavelength

Hi there,

My wife and I both have virgin.net email addresses from when we had ADSL in the 90s. These are both our main email address. Both are linked to an orphaned Virgin National account which is still functional. I worry one day we will lose the account and the email addresses will be lost - which would be disasterous.

Can the two virgin.net email addresses in the orphaned Virgin National account be transferred into the safety of my virgin media broadband account so we don't lose them? How do I go about doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FossilLight  The 'Move & Transfer' process moves the entire account profile of the donor account to the receiving account thereby replacing all email accounts that currently exist on the receiving account.  It is not possible to move individual email addresses from one account to another. As Danny mentioned the VM Forum Team will be able to advise if a Move & Transfer is possible in your situation when they reach this thread in due course.

As for the other point in your original post, yes, your orphaned virgin.net email accounts are at risk of deletion without further notice at any time as this should have happened 12 months after the adsl service was sold by VM.  As you still have access to them you would be well advised to make sure that you have offline backups of the contents of the email accounts to preserve them after the accounts are closed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could transfer one but not both and doing so would destroy your email address associated with your broadband account, a VM rep will assist you here if you keep an eye on the post

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks Danny,

I have 4 email addresses associated with my VM broadband account one for each family member. Why would adding two more to the set create issues?

When you say 'destroy' do you mean delete? I'm happy if a different email address becomes the primary address for the broadband account but I don't want to lose my current ntlworld address.

Thanks for helping,

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FossilLight  The 'Move & Transfer' process moves the entire account profile of the donor account to the receiving account thereby replacing all email accounts that currently exist on the receiving account.  It is not possible to move individual email addresses from one account to another. As Danny mentioned the VM Forum Team will be able to advise if a Move & Transfer is possible in your situation when they reach this thread in due course.

As for the other point in your original post, yes, your orphaned virgin.net email accounts are at risk of deletion without further notice at any time as this should have happened 12 months after the adsl service was sold by VM.  As you still have access to them you would be well advised to make sure that you have offline backups of the contents of the email accounts to preserve them after the accounts are closed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks Graham,

Doesn't sound like Move and Transfer is what I want. I need to keep my family's emails safe and the ones in the orphaned account safe. Could I pay for a minimal functioning dummy broadband account that the orphaned account gets moved to. I'd pay for that as well as the existing broadband account which would then be untouched. Is that a solution?

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FossilLight wrote:

Thanks Graham,

Doesn't sound like Move and Transfer is what I want. I need to keep my family's emails safe and the ones in the orphaned account safe. Could I pay for a minimal functioning dummy broadband account that the orphaned account gets moved to. I'd pay for that as well as the existing broadband account which would then be untouched. Is that a solution?

They don't allow that

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Graham,

They don't allow one person to have two accounts, or is it they don't allow accounts which are not wired to a property?

My current broadband account allows me to generate additional email addresses. How about VM do Move and Transfer from the orphaned account to my broadband account then in that account I just generate the 4 email addresses that have just been written over.

There must be a creative solution to this that doesn't involve losing any existing email addresses given that I am prepared to pay.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FossilLight wrote:

Hi Graham,

They don't allow one person to have two accounts, or is it they don't allow accounts which are not wired to a property?

My current broadband account allows me to generate additional email addresses. How about VM do Move and Transfer from the orphaned account to my broadband account then in that account I just generate the 4 email addresses that have just been written over.

There must be a creative solution to this that doesn't involve losing any existing email addresses given that I am prepared to pay.

Unfortunately these is no way to achieve your aim.  The suggestion above would not work as once the email addresses are deleted from the system they cannot be recreated in another account or even in the account from which they were deleted.

Hi Graham,

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FossilLight wrote:

Hi Graham,

It is unusual to have two VM broadband accounts at the same property but I believe that it may be possible.  Again, this is something that the VM Forum Team should be able to advise on when they reach this thread in the next day or so.