cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net mail, IMAP settings?

captspalding
Joining in

Hi All,

I have an old virgin.net e-mail address. I have  been using the browser, but want to switch to using a local app, like Outlook or Thunderbird. They ask for IMAP and SMTP settings. I enter these details using imap.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com with the correct port and security settings. I use my virgin.net e-mail address and the password I use to login to e-mail via a browser, but it continually fails. 
Question: Any advice? Is virgin.net supported using IMAP and SMTP? 
(I've tried POP3 and still no joy).

HELP! Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@captspalding wrote:

.Any advice?
(I've tried POP3 and still no joy).

Is virgin.net supported using IMAP and SMTP? 

It certainly is and lots of people still use virgin.net email accounts.

"I enter these details using imap.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com with the correct port and security settings."

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change

"want to switch to using a local app, like Outlook or Thunderbird. They ask for IMAP and SMTP settings."

Outlook and Thunderbird both default to setting up those details automatically based on your email address, have you tried that route? I use both those email clients but I don't have a virgin.net email address to test out whether they set up the settings correctly, I would expect that they do.

"I use my virgin.net e-mail address and the password I use to login to e-mail via a browser,"

That should work but sometimes the password on the various VM email servers gets out of sync. I have one VM email account like that. The solution to that is to reset your password. Sadly that could raise a bit of of problem for you.

Try signing into the "My Virgin Media" for your email account by entering your virgin.net  address  in this link https://virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media and then enter the current password when prompted.

Once you have signed in click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. On that page you will see the option to edit the password.

Change it something you have not used before, then sign out and wait 20-30 minutes before trying to access the email account again.

"I have an old virgin.net e-mail address"

Ok, but do you have a Virgin Media broadband account?  If you do, is this virgin.net email account linked to it?

If the answer to either of those questions is "no", then your virgin.net email account could disappear at any time. Here is a post from 2017 about the risk to "orphan" email accounts (Virgin email accounts not linked to a VM broadband account). https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts 

You will see that post was made in 2017 but the pace of VM deleting orphan accounts seems to have picked up recently, perhaps due to the fact that VM stopped issuing new email accounts last year. VM still supports VM email accounts that belong to existing broadband customers but the longer term future of the whole VM email service is unclear.

Try resetting the password and see how that goes.

If that does not work and you are a VM broadband customer the VM Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) will be able to check this out for you. Sadly, if you are not a VM broadband customer they will be severely limited in the support they can provide

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @captspalding thanks for your post although we're sorry you're having difficulties with your email.

If you can try the steps listed by @coenoby, this should help but if this doesn't work can you firstly tell us if you are an active Virgin Media customer or have you disconnected from us?

Many thanks

Tom_W