Menu
birgitb
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net email - outgoing server gone

Hello everyone,

I am still using the original email address ending in virgin.net and the last few days it is playing up again.

I use the outgoing server imap.virginmedia.com as advised by the last problem I had but now my whole 'sent' emails are gone even when I go into email at virginmedia the mails I have sent today and yesterday are not there. On my MAC I dont even have a sent folder anymore. Incoming emails are not coming regularly either.

Please could somebody help to sort my problem.

Thank you.

Birgit

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net email - outgoing server gone

Hello brigitb,

In order to get more information to solve this - can you answer a few questions:

• Are you a VM broadband customer?
  • Is the email address linked to your billing account - it would show on the my profile page/my services OR on the manage accounts tab.
  • Please check through these help pages and ALSO check the filter rules in webmail to be sure nothing untoward is listed there.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security-hub

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/online-account-safety

Let us know if that does not solve the problem and we can give you more pointers or ask more questions to fathom out the root problem.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
birgitb
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello MissPasko,

thank you for your helpful suggestions and reply.

I do have a VM account incl broadband, TV and phone but the email and account is ntlworld. I do have my virgin.net account for over 20 years before I moved and signed the new contract. The email address virgin.net is not linked to my account therefore.

It is not a virus or has been hacked. My incoming mail server is set imap.virginmedia.com and the advanced setting is imap path prefix:993 my outgoing server is smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 use TLS/SSL. If I go into mailbox behaviours I have as a sent mailbox suddenly 993/sent messages. Why is it showing the prefix there?

Also on all of my devices Mac, iPhone and iPad the sent emails are all different - on phone I have the most history of sent emails, on my Mac I only have random few from the last days and iPhad has different ones as well. There is a sent folder and another folder which says 993 but they are not the same.

Again when I even log in my email from Virginmedia site there are mails missing. The incoming mails seem to be working again.

I am really buzzled by this.

Thank you. Birgit

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @birgitb

Thanks so much for popping back to us with that information. 

If the email address you are using is not linked to an active Virgin Media account then I'm afraid we're not able to assist you. Email addresses are usually deleted within 90 days of you leaving or if the account has not been used. It looks like if you  have been using it even without it being linked to an account then it has slipped through the net. 

I do apologise

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi again birgitb.  I don't want to get your hopes up but I saw another post in the past few days that is similar to yours.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-Email-Address-stopped-working/m-p/4300610

I don't recall the exact dates regarding the changes to the virgin.net system, but it seems to me that as you are an active customer and have posted in the community forums a few times over the years, this problem should have been picked up prior to you losing access this week.  But better now than never.

Please ask the Forum Team to have a closer look and see if you can apply for a Move & Transfer.  It would mean losing the other set of email addresses linked to your broadband account, so you would need to make a decision on what is most important to you.  But at least you would have time to make a backup of the ntlworld mailbox before you do the transfer.

While waiting for the Forum Team, run the address through https://mailtester.com to see if the mailbox is still in the VM servers.

Let us know how you get on - fingers crossed for a happy ending! 🤞

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

birgitb
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello MissPasko,

thank you for your reply. There is a part which I do not understand

It would mean losing the other set of email addresses linked to your broadband account, so you would need to make a decision on what is most important to you. But at least you would have time to make a backup of the ntlworld mailbox before you do the transfer.

I thought the email address linked to my VM account is the one to use which is the ntlworld mailbox - BUT I do not use that as my main email because I still use virgin.net when I had an account at my previous address in Surrey.So do you mean I would need to move my virgin.net to ntlworld mailbox?

Thank you

Birgit

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, your virgin.net email address is at risk of being closed down completely as it is not linked to a current VM broadband account.

MissPasko was suggesting that VM might be able to do a Move & Transfer of the email address to your current account, replacing your Ntlworld address.

However, as the virgin.net address was created so long ago this is not likely to be possible anymore (when did your account in Surrey close?).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

birgitb
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello Katie_WT,

I am not the only one having a virgin.net  email account. Just seen in the forum another post with the comment that I have to ask for a move/transfer of my email to my VM account email so that I do not lose my emails.

Could you please advise on the matter.

Thank you

Birgit

0 Kudos
birgitb
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello MissPasko,

yes, the email is still valid after I run your suggest check.

Best wishes,

Birgit

0 Kudos
birgitb
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham_A,

To be honest I can not remember if it was from a closed account from my previous address or not just that I have this email for over 20 years. There was a slight problem with it in 2016 when it has been moved over to another server and I spoke to a very nice and helpful person on the phone. Since then it has been fine without any problems.

The critical issue is that the email address is a username for many sites online.

It would be good to know for how long the email is still secure for me taking actions and WHAT the best solution is to move forward.

Thank you,

Birgit