cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net email de-activated without warning

annelaking
Tuning in

hi I've had a  virgin.net email account for over 25 yeas. It's my main account used for business and personal. 

nearly 4 weeks ago now it stopped working. I was told that virginmedia were cleaning up old virgin.net accounts. I was promised that if I took out a virginmedia account they would be able to link virgin.net email to it and I would get access to my emails. 

As a result I have taken out a new broadband contract but since then I've been given the run around, and am repeatedly told that a ticket has been raised, the IT team are working on it, and asked to ''call back in 48 hours.''  I've been calling back every few days for nearly  a month now with no progress. 

Like many other people who've suffered the same issue I have important information I need to access; this email is also the recovery email address for my online bank accounts. 

please, please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Click the purple envelope at the top of the page, that will take you in to your private messages.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jem101
Superstar

@annelaking first things first, I’ve escalated this to a member of the forum staff to contact you by direct message and see if something can be done.

Now there is a possibility that your old email address and account has already been deleted, in which case selling you a broadband account on the basis that it would fix it is certainly a case of miss selling - which is actually illegal. Hopefully, though it is still there and it is possible that it can be associated with your new broadband account - have to say that it does still leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth though!

John

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @annelaking, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.
I am sorry to hear that you've lost access to your virgin.net email address.  I would like to take a closer look at this on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.
Regards

Lee_R

Sololobo
Superstar

@annelaking wrote:

hi I've had a  virgin.net email account for over 25 yeas. It's my main account used for business and personal. 

nearly 4 weeks ago now it stopped working. I was told that virginmedia were cleaning up old virgin.net accounts. I was promised that if I took out a virginmedia account they would be able to link virgin.net email to it and I would get access to my emails. 

Usually a "move and transfer" of an email address, which is what you need, requires the original email address to still be active before it can be transferred to a new account. If your old virgin.net address has already been deleted then this may cause a major problem. Depending on when your original contract with VM ended it's possible that deletion of the virgin.net email address has already taken place.

The transferred email address will also replace all currently existing addresses on the new account, not an issue for you I assume.

Then there are issues of Data Protection.

Even with the same name at the same address but with different account details, clearing Data Protection may well prove difficult, and rightly so. It would be totally unacceptable for somebody to gain access to another's email account due to insufficient DPA procedures, so expect this to be fraught with difficulty.

As a result I have taken out a new broadband contract but since then I've been given the run around, and am repeatedly told that a ticket has been raised, the IT team are working on it, and asked to ''call back in 48 hours.''  I've been calling back every few days for nearly  a month now with no progress. 

I suspect that you have never been asked to pass DPA security, nobody has checked to confirm whether your old virgin.net email address is still active, and frankly the telephone staff have no idea how to progress your issue.

Being asked to call back in 24/48/72 hrs. is merely a ploy to get you off the line so they can concentrate on providing the same sort of service to another unfortunate.

I believe the forum staff are far better at providing meaningful support, hopefully one of them will pick up this thread soon. [EDIT: I see that in the time I took to type this the forum staff have already got involved: well done!]

Like many other people who've suffered the same issue I have important information I need to access; this email is also the recovery email address for my online bank accounts. 

please, please help. 

As a suggestion while you wait: have a look at post #12 in this thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/E-mail-account-blocked-today/m-p/4863904#M230174 as the suggestion may work for you.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

HAs @Sololobo has said above, I can’t help feeling that whoever you spoke to at VM customer services (and there’s a misnomer, if ever I heard one) simply took the opportunity to sell you a contact and hence boost their bonus but actually did nothing to link the email address to the new account.

OK let’s se what the forum team can do but I suspect that you have good grounds for legal action for miss-selling, assuming that you want the bother of initiating a small-claims action against VM (by the way, you absolutely would win).

John

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @annelaking

I have sent your a private message.  Am here if you need me.

Regards

Lee_R

thank you lee I really need to get this solved. 

how can we connect? 

Thanks lee - I'm trying to access the message, but as I'm new to the forum not sure how to access it - please help? 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Click the purple envelope at the top of the page, that will take you in to your private messages.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thank you got it now. 

xx