cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media via outlook via add an account

Colin56
Tuning in

Hi thanks for the reply I have already got blueyonder email on my phone but am struggling to get it on windows 10 via outlook by adding an account the password for virgin media account does not allow me to carry on and the outlook password is not recognised

so all ok on phone and iPad but no good on windows 10 via outlook when attempting to add an account any ideas would be good thanks all

5 REPLIES 5

Sololobo
Superstar

Try following the set-up instructions for Outlook provided here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

These instructions push you towards using an IMAP configuration, if you choose to use POP instead the server settings are as noted below.

Type of information

Settings to enter   
Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

POP3 username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Sending mail (SMTP)
SMTP server namesmtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP SSLEnabled
SMTP port465
SMTP authenticationEnabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi thanks for the reply when I get a minute I will try it is there an suggestion as to password should it be my virgin media password or my outlook password

thanks again

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you are trying to set up the Outlook desktop app to your VM email, then you use the password for your VM email account to connect to it.

I'm not sure some of the more current versions of Outlook still use that sequence of wizard screens to set up a new account, as shown in the first VM link at #2 above. On my Outlook 2016 adding a new email is more of a dumbed down process that doesn't allow you to manually enter all of the necessary info. You have to go via 'Control Panel' to manually set up all the detailed account/server info.

Hi I have just installed thunderbird email in minutes and I have now got my blueyonder mail via thunderbird. Cant see why virginmedia via outlook is so difficult. 

But all is not lost

Thanks for your patience

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Colin56 wrote:

Cant see why virginmedia via outlook is so difficult. 

Actually, it's Outlook that's the problem.

It used to be a breeze setting up new email accounts in Outlook. However. as @goslow mentions, over the years Microsoft have "simplified" the process but (in my opinion) actually made it more difficult.

I have a number of email addresses on private domains, each with it''s own server settings and setting them up in Outlook gives the same issues as you encountered with VM.

Thankfully, you can still use the old way of creating or amending the email Outlook settings and  that is much easier. However, again as gslow said earlier,  you have to come out of Outlook itself and go via the Control Panel to set them up. If you're interested, here's Microsoft's instructions how to do that https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/change-or-update-email-account-settings-in-outlook-for-wi... 

I am waiting to see whether Windows 11 will have any impact on that. The cynic in me thinks MS are going to take the opportunity to make that more difficult as well.  😮

In contrast to Outlook, Thunderbird really does simplify the whole process so you made a good choice to switch to that.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks