Menu
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin email server continually disconnects or cannot be reached.

I have used the virgin email system for some years.(..... @blueyonder.co.uk address) I connect using Microsoft Outlook 2007 as the email client. All has been fine until recently when the service disconnects with the message 'a connection to the server cannot be established. Imap.virginmedia.com is now in offline mode'. This happens on a pc with hardwire connection to the modem so it's not a wifi issue. It used to happen occasionally but now every 2 or 3 minutes making the service unusable. It also happens on a wifi laptop.

I can connect to virgin webmail  using my web browser but this takes longer and does not have the many extra facilities of Outlook. I have used the outlook repair function and checked the connection by receiving an email which states all OK only for the system to fall down seconds later.

What is going on? Is the virgin media server faulty?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin email server continually disconnects or cannot be reached.

Issue has been raised here Re: POP3 servers down ?. though your frequency seems in excess of what other users are reporting.

By the way, with Outlook 2007 no longer receiving security updates  have you considered upgrading to the latest version or to another email client like Thunderbird?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate VIP comments made but no reaction from Virgin.

I am using imap and wish to connect to blueyonder.co.uk

Since posting my original comment when the imap server would only stay connected for seconds, now it stays connected for much longer periods though it still randomly drops out. Obviously this is not right but it appears something has been done at Virgin's end which has made the system just about workable.

To recap I am using Outlook 2007 as the email client and the pc is running Win10.

Does Virgin recognize that there is a problem with imap email?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They are aware of the issue with IMAP and hopefully things will improve at some point.

0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Now back to the situation reported before. ie Email server disconnects randomly but at least once a minute which makes the service quite useless. I am using microsoft outlook 2007 - could this have something to do with the dropout?

Using the web connection allows connection but does not have the useful functions in Outlook.

Nothing heard from Virgin throughout this problem.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. You should be aware that Microsoft ended support for Outlook 2007 on 10/10/2017. You are therefore running the risks associated with all out-of-date software – namely that it can start to throw up unsolveable problems at any time.

2. That said, you could try increasing the connection timeout settings to see if that helps.

Change Timeout In Outlook 2007

1. With Outlook open, click "Tools" and click "E-mail Accounts". ...

2. Double-Click on the account you wish to change.

3. This will open the Change E-Mail Account window. ...

4. This will open up the Internet E-Mail Settings Window. ...

5. On the section that says "Server Timeouts", Adjust the setting by moving the slider to the right.

sdu60
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this useful suggestion. I have increased the time out significantly but I am not sure if this has had any effect. What I do find is that dropouts are most frequent during "peak hours" and that early in the morning and late in the evening the service seems to be quite stable. Is it possible that the server is overloaded and cannot cope with the traffic. Virgin????

0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Several days after following suggestion to increase timeout, the frequency of disconnections in outlook has dropped dramatically. I still experience the odd dropout but the system seems much more stable now.
Thanks.

0 Kudos