cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin email receiving but not sending

FredBrookes
Tuning in

Since yesterday my ntlworld.com email address is not allowing sending, but is receiving new emails normally. I am on the correct server and nothing has changed in my settings. The error message is

FredBrookes_0-1648634526584.png

So there is no error code. Any ideas what has gone wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have access to a desktop / laptop device connected to the same network then try opening a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have access to a desktop / laptop device connected to the same network then try opening a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FredBrookes

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on after trying the above? Have you been able to review this yet?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Alas, still not sending. I have not been able to make the suggested action work to get info from the Terminal.

Fred

Hi Fred, 

Sorry to hear you're still having some issues sending emails.

Can you confirm if you're able to log into your My Virgin Media account okay?

Are you getting the sending error via webmail or an email client?

Are you getting an error message?

Alex_Rm

Hello Alex-RM

Thank you for your note. I can log in OK to my VM account. My webmail appears to be sending again at this moment, though it was not earlier today. 

My email is using Thunderbird to access my Ntlworld.com address for Virgin email, on my Mac, and that has been out for the last few days. I am still receiving emails by that route, it is just the send function that is not working. I do not get an error code when I try to send, only a window that says 

Login to account "Virgin Media mail" failed

Any ideas?

Yours

Fred

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry to read you have not been able to use the curl command.

If your Thunderbird version is greater than 91 then try the following when a message next fails to send:

• open Thunderbird's Console by pressing ⌘ + Shift + J
  • review the text shown for any VM error codes or messages that might explain why send failed
  • post just the VM error code here or a redact version of the error message