Menu
Rufus-Oldboots
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin SMTP and Spamcop

It would appear that I am now unable to report spam to Spamcop.

To date I have had:-

1. my email account suspended twice
  2. a letter saying my email address is being used to send spam
  3. a further letter repeating this and asking me to run various security checks

My belief is that Virginmedia.com is identifying what I report to Spamcop as spam (which it is) and incorrectly preventing it from being forwarded. When I do attempt to send anything now, I get a message saying that the SMTP server cannot or will not forward the message as it has been classed as spam. In their eyes, then, I am a distributor of spam either consciously or otherwise.

I have been forwarding spam to Spamcop for over 12 years via Virginmedia and this has only recently become an issue.

I want Virginmedia to stop hijacking my legitimate reports to Spamcop and desist from both suspending my email account and otherwise harassing me. (ie by letter advising me that I am a spammer and what 'steps' I can take to stop.)

It has not gone unnoticed that one is not able to contact Virginmedia via email - what are they scared of?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin SMTP and Spamcop

Hi Rufus-Oldboots,

So sorry about this.

We have, just recently, taken steps to ensure that all legitimate spam/phishing reporting domains are whitelisted. Please attempt to re-send (a test example will suffice) and let me know whether or not we need to specify Spamcop for whitelisting. Also the SMTP mail logs should identify if your reporting attempts are responsible for the mailbox suspension.

I'll send you a PM in a moment (purple envelope icon, top right of page) requesting some additional information so that I can investigate this further.

Awaiting your reply with thanks 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
credulous
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am having exactly the same problem .. Please add spamcop.net to whitelist

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Rufus-Oldboots
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've given up. Spamcop aren't interested in any case - any emails I've sent them (personally - not spam forwarding) have been ignored & unacknowledged.

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rufus-Oldboots & credulous,

We're investigating this - I shall update on here as soon as I can confirm that spamcop has been white-listed.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The only other thing I'd add is if you are reporting mail to Spamcop - make sure that you've followed the steps that allow Spamcop to separate out the SMTP chain at Virgin Media's inbound end from the actual servers used by the spammers to transmit mail.

This is done by logging in to Spamcop and selecting the Mailhosts -> Add New Host option.

(Apologies if I'm teaching people to suck eggs but unless you do this the system can inadvertently mistake Virgin Media's inbound chain as the spam source)

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rufus-Oldboots,

Following on from our private conversation - thanks for confirming that the reporting to spamcop now works.

All the best 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos