cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media closed my email account

simonwarren007
Joining in

Hi, this same thing has just happened to me. I’ve had the same virgin.net email address but last week, without warning it was terminated.

Please, help!

Many thanks

[MOD EDIT: Post split from old thread and subject title changed for clarity. @simonwarren007  please add more information so we can help with your query]

8 REPLIES 8

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @simonwarren007,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry that your email address isn't working at the moment, are you currently an active broadband customer of ours?

If you are an active customer, please can you try changing your password for your mailbox via your 'My Virgin Media' account and let me know if that works to get you back into your mailbox.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steve,

thanks for getting back to me. 

The problem is that I’m not an active virgin customer. I left a while ago but was given no warning that the address would be deactivated.

@simonwarren007 wrote:

Hi Steve,

thanks for getting back to me. 

The problem is that I’m not an active virgin customer. I left a while ago but was given no warning that the address would be deactivated.

I'm afraid to say that you were given warning that the email address would be terminated as it was clearly stated in the Ts and Cs which you agreed to when originally signing up with VM. In theory they will retain your email account for 90 days after you leave but are often lax in keeping to that timescale and the email carries on working for some time (years in some cases) but eventually gets caught up in a periodic cleanup and is deleted.

This would seem to be the case for your email address - unfortunately the onus is on the customer to make backups of any emails they want to keep and notify contacts of the change of address.

Hi @simonwarren007

Thanks for getting back to us.

Unfortunately, as you are no longer a Virgin Media customer your email address will have been deleted, I'm sorry you were not aware of this. To explain, if you are not an active Virgin Media customer who holds a broadband account with us, then your email address will end. It normally ends 90 days after your broadband contract ends, however sometimes they can take a whole to be deactivated. Once an email address has been removed it cannot be activated or used again. I'm sorry. When you started using the email address, the T&C state that once account is closed the email service will end 90 days after contract for broadband.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

Serena

pfgpowell
Joining in

The same has happened to me. 

Back in the days of dial-up I started with Virgin and have had a Virgin email address ever since. When broadband came in I switched to Plusnet but kept the account (although I have not any other services) and it worked fine until last night when it disappeared.

Really, is there any way I might resurrect it, take out a service (such as a mobile sim) to get a new account with the same address? 

My problem is that loads of people and businesses contact me on that account. I'm still registered on the system because I get a 'Hello, Patrick' message when I log onto the Virgin Media portal. Oh, and I was NOT given any warning - 90 days - or otherwise that this would happen. It came out of the blue.

Please help.

"..take out a service (such as a mobile sim) ..." Sadly, no - it must be a broadband service..

A Virgin Media rep 'might' be able to re-instate your account temporarily - you just have to hope one comes along shortly...!!

Well, reinstating would be great. But it would be pointless to open a broadband account just to get access to my email. And that would mean closing my existing broadband account and losing those email adresses, swings and roundabouts.

It wouldn't really bother me except that the Virgin.net address is one several important services use to get in touch and, crucially have done for a long, long time.

I just hope someone from Virgin will get in touch. Please!

Have a look at this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Unable-to-receive-mail/m-p/5056897#M240219

Someone in a similar position to you - the last post in the thread from Ayisha-B is very relevant !