cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media closed my email account with no warning

SarahRogers
Tuning in

I know this has been discussed before, but Virgin Media suddenly closed my 20 years plus email account with no warning!

It is the only service I have, which I believe is the issue.  

Several calls and various passing through to departments have not helped.  Someone did say they would raise a 'ticket' and I would get a call over the weekend, but nothing.

Can anyone help please?

I just need access again to transfer key emails to my new account.

Thank you. 

9 REPLIES 9

Sololobo
Superstar

Webmail access is usually first to go when an "orphaned" email address is being closed but access through a client usually lasts a little longer. You will have to be quick though. Virgin Media will not help you to regain access if you are not a current VM broadband customer.

First check and confirm your email address is still active by going to https://email-checker.net/

If it is still active set up an email client (Thunderbird for example - other clients are available), see here for settings: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients and download all your emails so they are held locally.

NOTE: POP access will only download emails held in your INBOX, IMAP will give access to all folders you set to synchronise.

Set up an ISP independent email address (such as Gmail - others are available) and transfer all your usage to that.

Time is of the essence so do something now!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thank you.  I did the email check and it wasn't recognised and marked 'BAD' Hilarious!  

I have used this account daily for 20 odd years!

If they contacted me, I don't recall and may have thought the email was spam.  

Thanks for your post SarahRogers,

I'd be happy to take a closer look into this for you

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

SarahRogers
Tuning in

Hi, a guy called Dave tried to help, but to no avail. 

However, I do know of someone who was contacted by another Virgin Media representative and they got theirs reinstated.  

I have since set up an 'Outlook' email and spent ages changing my email address with many contacts, both personal and business.  

I wish you the best of luck. However, with so many customers reporting this issue just strengthens my belief that no warning emails were sent to customers.  

As far as I am concerned,  Richard Branson can whistle,  (to putting it politely!)

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SarahRogers wrote:

Richard Branson can whistle, 

I am sure he can LOL but what's that got to do with the current email problems?

His only involvement with Virgin Media is that Liberty Global (the US corporation which owns VM) have an agreement to use the Virgin Brand in the UK.

It's a clever trick that.  Branson also has no involvement with Virgin Money, that's owned by the Clydesdale Bank.

The CEO of Virgin Media is a certain Lutz Schüler so perhaps he should be whistling instead. 😊

Here is the Management Team https://www.virginmedia.com/content/virginmedia/dotcom/en/corporate/about-us/management-team.html .

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SarahRogers
Tuning in

Hi Steve

I had no other Virgin Media account; in fact I don't recall that Virgin Media existed when I open the account all those years ago!

When it first happened and I spoke to the Virgin reps, all they kept asking for was my Virging Media account number , which if course I did not have! Anything else wasn't on their set answers and could not help further. 

One plus point, which I hope may also work for you. 

When I opened my new 'outlook' account, I was still able to see some old Virgin account emails, both on my phone and laptop,  so could access some info for my new account. 

Hi Sarah,

Have you been able to obtain all the important E-Mails, or are there some you still need access to?

I am aware of another way of possibly gaining access to your E-Mail account, if you would be open to working with me further?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

You are much more clued up on Mr Branson's activities than me! 

Hi David

Thank you for your offer, but I am fine now thanks.  

My virgin email account is disappearing into the archives!