Menu
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin IP 80.0.253.73 blocked?

My ISP is Virgin via Blueyonder and my Broadband is obviously Virgin.
I have been trying to send emails to different branches of a VW main car dealer and get a message deliver failure as follows

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:
550:550 The sending IP (80.0.253.73) is listed on https://spamrl.com/. Please resolve this and retry.

I thought the IP address was mine but it appears it is Virgin Media. So does this mean that the incoming mail checker software that the VW dealer is using will block emails from any Virgin Media customer?

How do I overcome this, all other emails I send arrive okay?

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin IP 80.0.253.73 blocked?

@jimgironde wrote:

My ISP is Virgin via Blueyonder and my Broadband is obviously Virgin.
I have been trying to send emails to different branches of a VW main car dealer and get a message deliver failure as follows

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:
550:550 The sending IP (80.0.253.73) is listed on https://spamrl.com/. Please resolve this and retry.

I thought the IP address was mine but it appears it is Virgin Media. So does this mean that the incoming mail checker software that the VW dealer is using will block emails from any Virgin Media customer?

How do I overcome this, all other emails I send arrive okay?

Try sending this via webmail and see if it goes okay. (doubt it will).

What email client are you using to send it. (This probably makes no difference).

I think that this is one of those really odd list in that it scours all other list to build theirs, and then adds blocking or trust depending on the emails it sees pass through its system.  If the people using this system don't send back the training data then you can be stuck on the blacklist.  Basically, this is not your fault and there's little/nothing you can do to influence their filters.

I only asked about the email client/webmail because non-secure sending may go out via a different pant and would be more likely to be blocked.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
Highlighted
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My email client is latest edition of Outlook via 365

0 Kudos
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

If the people using this system don't send back the training data then you can be stuck on the blacklist.  Basically, this is not your fault and there's little/nothing you can do to influence their filters.

Can you clarify when you say I am stuck on their blacklist through no fault of my own please? As this is not my IP address and it belongs to Virgin Media, presumably it is VM who is on the blacklist and all VM customers who might email 3rd parties that are using this spam filtering software will suffer the same non delivery problems?

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your correct, other users may hit this same problem.

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a80.0.253.73&run=toolpage# clearly shows that the IP is not getting blocked globally.  It's spamrl being too strict with their restrictions.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That is correct. MXtoolbox shows that IP address is not being blocked generally, nor is it on the main blocklists that are in circulation. The IP address is that of one of VM's outgoing mail relays in the UK. We'll ask the Forum Team to get this issue looked at by VM's postmaster and security team. I suspect that VM already know and are acting to get the address delisted. 

@ModTeam 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi everyone

Before I continue, I would like to ask that @jimgironde please stops using helpful answer unless a post actually SOLVES his problem.  If you want to give thanks use the Kudos button.

I've taken a look at all of VM's outbound servers in the 80.0.253.64 - 80.0.253.79 range and currently the only one that's blacklisted is 80.0.253.73.

I'd never heard of this particular blacklist provider before today, but there are quite a few about and some are more obscure than others.  All it takes is for the email administrator of the email domain you are sending to, in this case VW to be using one of these lists in order to cause issues.

Because of the way VM's email system works, messages sent using an email program from the same IP within a certain period of time usually end up being sent by the same outbound relay.  Meaning that if you try again in a short period of time then you hit the same problem, but if you don't send anything to anyone for say an hour mails may go out through a different relay.  However this inconvenience should not be happening.

@ModTeam can you ask the email team to take a look at the blacklisting please?

@VMCopperUser - I'm disappointed sir - lol

Try sending this via webmail and see if it goes okay. (doubt it will)

I personally would expect webmail to work provided they are sending from the currently logged in email address.  Mail sent via webmail uses completely different outbound servers based in the Netherlands.

If however I'm logged in with joebloggs@virginmedia.com and I've added fredsmith@virginmedia.com so I can see it without having to log out and back in again, then mail sent via fredsmith@virginmedia.com uses rhe same servers as an email program such as Outlook in order to send.

What email client are you using to send it. (This probably makes no difference).

You're right here it does make no difference - although it's good to know as in some cases it helps to know so we can give specific advice tailored to that program.

I think that this is one of those really odd list in that it scours all other list to build theirs,

You're right here - although looking at their help page it does appear that they have a number of different ways of populating their blacklist.  Some are reputation based and others appear to be from direct spam reports.

you can be stuck on the blacklist.

The OP isn't blacklisted - Virgin Media's SMTP server is.

I only asked about the email client/webmail because non-secure sending may go out via a different pant and would be more likely to be blocked.

Although no one should be using insecure sending (which is not possible when using smtp.virginmedia.com but is using the three legacy servers) insecure sending has no effect on which outbound relays are used.

A good attempt at helping and a lot of good information in your post to be honest, but these parts did stick out 😛

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Morning,

Thank you for flagging this to us. 

We saw this relay getting blacklisted and we have taken steps to get it removed.It can take a day for this to get updated fully.

Let us know if you need anything else. 

Community Moderators

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam wrote:

Morning,

Thank you for flagging this to us. 

We saw this relay getting blacklisted and we have taken steps to get it removed.It can take a day for this to get updated fully.

Let us know if you need anything else. 

Community Moderators

How about a fully functioning, effective email service, which all users are able to log in to?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Hi everyone

Before I continue, I would like to ask that @jimgironde please stops using helpful answer unless a post actually SOLVES his problem.  If you want to give thanks use the Kudos button.

I've taken a look at all of VM's outbound servers in the 80.0.253.64 - 80.0.253.79 range and currently the only one that's blacklisted is 80.0.253.73.

@ModTeam can you ask the email team to take a look at the blacklisting please?

Sorry about that, different forum different rules!.

I guess in a roundabout way the issue was resolved for me?

My main concern, not understanding what was going on, was to seek reassurance that I didn't have a problem at my end, that reassurance was given. I had got round the issue by using my MS email account and do not need email VW again. As my emails to VW were the only ones rejected, I will have no way of knowing whether Virgin have fixed this or not, if you follow my drift, so the issue was closed for me.

However, the good news is that it looks as though Virgin are on to it!

0 Kudos