cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM can't delete orphaned Account !

dcweather
Dialled in

I am posting this again here as it has never been resolved despite several of the VM team attempting to.

VM threatened to cut my old VM .net email account off three years ago with little notice and I protested that it wasn't enough notice - now they don't seem to know how to do it !! I spent a lot of time clearing the account and for the last year or so it has just sat there. I still get the odd spam. The problem is it is still working and uses my full name. As it is no longer supported it a can't be very secure and I am concerned that if it got hacked the address could be used in my name for all sorts of nefarious activities. It is hard to understand why VM say it can't be deleted by me or themselves. If it still exists surely it can be deleted - after all this is a common security measure to a hacked account surely?

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Accounts for Virgin.net should have been closed down in 2015. The current systems that Customer Services use have no access to these orphaned accounts so it appears there is no straightforward way of accessing them.

VM have to raise an IT ticket so their technical teams can sort it.

A member of the Forum Team should be along shortly & should be able to get this arranged.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Indeed but last time the IT Team still couldn't figure it out. Somebody, surely, must have access. I mean I do, but I can't delete it !

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nodrogd wrote:

Accounts for Virgin.net should have been closed down in 2015. The current systems that Customer Services use have no access to these orphaned accounts so it appears there is no straightforward way of accessing them.

VM have to raise an IT ticket so their technical teams can sort it.

A member of the Forum Team should be along shortly & should be able to get this arranged.

Closure in 2015 would only apply to virgin.net email addresses that were not moved to a Virgin Media broadband account at the time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dcweather,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I am sorry to hear there's been some issues trying to delete your email account. 

I'm going to pop you a PM now to confirm some details and we'll get another request sent to our IT team to look into this.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope icon in the top right hand corner of your page for my message.

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for coming back to me via PM @dcweather

I've raised an IT ticket for you now and have requested for the team to have the email account in question deleted. They do aim to respond within 5-7 working days so as soon as I have news for you, I will follow up with you here 🙂

Have a fab weekend!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs