cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of "recent" in front of ntlworld email addresses

chrisardy
Dialled in

For a number of years I have used "recent" in front of our main ntlworld email address. I am now having a problem viewing message content on Thunderbird using POP3.

Do I still need to use recent and would I be better off using Imap?

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The need to use the recent prefix was removed some years ago.

If you access the account on multiple devices then IMAP may be better, but be aware that action taken on one device is replicated across all devices and the main servers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Superstar

The use of the "recent" prefix has been redundant for some time now and is no longer required. The current recommended server settings are as noted below.

POP Access (Incoming)

Server Name: pop3.virginmedia.com

User Name: Your full email address

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication: Normal password

Port: 995

Or

IMAP Access (Incoming)

Server Name: imap.virginmedia.com

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

Port: 993

Outgoing Server (SMTP)

Server Name: smtp.virginmedia.com

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

Port: 465

Apologies for cross posting.
As for using POP3 or IMAP, that's a matter of what suits you best. Have a look at post #7 in this thread for more information https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/virgin-email-on-Outlook-on-more-than-one-device/m-p/50482...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks for these replies.

If I change my settings on Thunderbird to IMAP will all my old emails still be there?

I just looked at the Thunderbird settings and the incoming server is pop3.ntlworld.com, would I still get emails if I changed to pop3.virginmedia.com?

This article may be of some use to you: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Convert_a_POP_account_to_a_IMAP_account

Remember to backup all important files before you take any action.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post deleted - Sololobo has beat me to it.
Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for all your help on this issue.

I may decide to try changing to an IMAP account but I was reading some threads on Thunderbird help and it was mentioned that Avast may be causing some problems and to make an exception for Thunderbird ( I had also had another problem with email and that was down to Avast) so firstly I tried disabling Avast and when I did I could access all the messages!

I then put Avast back on and the emails still all worked so I have now put an exception on the Thunderbird folder in Avast.

By the way I would be grateful if you could tell me where Thunderbird saves emails in Windows so I can make sure they are all backed up.

@chrisardy wrote:

By the way I would be grateful if you could tell me where Thunderbird saves emails in Windows so I can make sure they are all backed up.

This link tells you all you need to know: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.