Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent help needed on outlook app for iPhone 13 and windows 10 outlook app also

owengriff
On our wavelength

Hi all

Please help

I have been using the outlook app on an Apple iPhone 13 for many years. I use it for my email which is an old virgin media email used in the Uk. On the phone and on the ho laptop I use I have the same outlook app a blue app in the shape of an envelope. I configured the setting a to virgin media pop and have Ben able to receive, send and forward emails for years. Recently they both stopped working. I can receive emails and send blank test ones but unable to forward any emails. If I forward one it says error your username or password is incorrect or the sending sever is incorrect. I have complained to virgin media who keep saying if I am able to login to a web browser on the virgin email website and see emails, send and forward then it isn’t their issue. This I can do. So I deleted the password for my virgin media account and reset up a new one and better encryption. I deleted the account settings in the outlook app on the phone and laptop using windows 10. I reset the apps back up and clicked on the email account settings and added my email address and then clicked pop settings but that’s it. It now keeps asking me as soon as the virgin settings are populated to check my username and password and won’t set the account up to use?

Help please quite technically trained

22 REPLIES 22

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thankyou for the reply but could you break it down a bit simpler please to follow. Do i  run cmd then type your username password etc or do i need to open email etc..It s the smtp server that wont allow me to forward emails. I have reset password and checked the email address is primary in my account.

Thankyou

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, run cmd and then type command in window

Edit: alternatively from a device on which email account cannot be setup:

1. browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
  2. go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  3. enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the Search single IP, domain or hash field and select Lookup
  4. post a redacted version of the issues report here, i.e. obscure such that IP Address shown in report is unreadable

FDA8916F-856F-4865-8704-36DFEA07EF7B.jpeg

hi all

have a screenshot off the website IP info but not sure what to redact before posting. Also a screenshot from spam hays below. I believe possibly then it’s because I forward a lot of emails from my ntlworld account to a hotmail account possibly?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Posted image lacks resolution to read  which Spamhaus Block List (SBL) your IP Address appears on but I suspect it is the CSS list. Read this post to understand one possible method to locate cause and resolve issue, Searching for Spambots on your network. - Virgin Media Community - 4087596 Post back here with your questions.

FWIW forwarding email to another of your email accounts would not account for the Spamhaus listing.

Wow Thankyou for link but it looks beyond my capabilities to rectify. Guess easiest thing to do is change email address on the items that come to it and be done with it. On my iPhone 13 using the outlook app I can receive and send certain emails but cannot forward. Laptop I have a hp windows 10 but cannot reinstall settings to receive Mail or even send any. Very frustrating as vm say it’s a Microsoft issue as the email web browser is fine and Microsoft say it’s a vm problem. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Regrettably that seems the most efficient method to tackle the issue. An alternate less efficient method depends on the frequency with which spam is being sent via your network connection where you:

1. turn off a specific device or group of devices, i.e. Amazon Fire Stick
  2. request Spamhaus delist your IP Address
  3. confirm delisting and ability to send emails
  4. after a period of a few hours confirm you can still send then continue to next step
    otherwise if you cannot send  it is likely the device causing the issue is amongst those still on, repeat step 1 but now turning off device not previously turned off
  5. turn on one device at a time or turn on all devices, and wait a few hours to see if ability to send is affected
  6. if ability is affected then repeat process but turn one less device off each time until possible problem device or devices are identified

FWIW do keep in mind that some miscreant is abusing your network connection to send spam should you choose not to address the issue.

Hi all

Sorry to be a pain. I went on spamhaus and put my ip address in initially air showed as spamhaus and css. Butvwhennintyped mubactual ip address it showed css only. I have checked the settings on vm email settings and unfortunately they were set at port 25. I have deleted both email account on iPhone 13 and HP laptop and setup imap. Both worked fine. Deleted both accounts but it won’t accept the pop3 settings for vm and I keep getting the smtp error. Will this be the same until spamhaus delete my requested css block?

@用心棒 wrote:

Yes, run cmd and then type command in window

Edit: alternatively from a device on which email account cannot be setup:

1. browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
  2. go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  3. enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the Search single IP, domain or hash field and select Lookup
  4. post a redacted version of the issues report here, i.e. obscure such that IP Address shown in report is unreadable

You know, I can't help thinking that a proper 'sticky' thread setting out exactly how to do this, possibly with links to YouTube videos might be appropriate, considering the number of times you have regurgitated the same information (yes, I know it's mostly a copy and paste job, but still). Now ideally this would be done by VM themselves, rather than relying on unpaid volunteers to provide their customer service support - but it is what it is!