Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unlink email accounts

Hi. Some years ago I linked my two daughters email accounts (Gmail) to my Virgin email account (ntlworld.com). I now want to unlink them but cannot find how to do this. I do not have the computer I originally linked them on, I think it was either in MS Outlook or Thunderbird on a Windows7 desktop. I am now using iPad as a tablet and android mobile. I’ve looked on the Virgin Email site but can’t find anything there that helps, or shows the two Gmail account details. Any suggestions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlink email accounts

HI 626,

Were these gmail accounts added to webmail?

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@626 wrote:

I do not have the computer I originally linked them on, I think it was either in MS Outlook or Thunderbird on a Windows7 desktop.

Any suggestions?

I would just point out that MS Outlook and Thunderbird are "email clients" - that means they are software products that enable you to send and receive emails from a number of different email addresses.

Adding your daughters' Gmail accounts to either of those products would have allowed you to see and respond to their emails as well as your own VM email account by using Outlook or Thunderbird.

However, it would not actually have "linked" them to your VM account.

If you added the Gmail accounts to Outlook or Thunderbird and you are no longer using either of those products you should no longer be able to access your daughters' Gmail accounts and they are not actually linked to your VM account at all.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

No, they do not show in the view you have shown, I have nothing listed below “Add Email Account”

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for the response. I am not that technically minded so apologies if I use the wrong terminology. All I can really say for sure is that whatever device or email client I use to access my emails (ie my Long standing ntlworld account) I also get both my daughters emails for their gmail accounts. I am not sure how I originally set this up, I know I did it as when they were younger I wanted some degree of knowledge of what and who they were emailing. Back then I only had a MS computer on Windows7 and was using either Outlook or Thunderbird so can only think I would have done it through that. If it’s not through a “client”, any other ideas how it could have been done?

Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@626 wrote:

any other ideas how it could have been done?

Based on what you have told us so far, here is what we do know and what we do not know:

1) "All I can really say for sure is that whatever device or email client I use to access my emails (ie my Long standing ntlworld account) I also get both my daughters emails for their gmail accounts."

We know that anything you did in Outlook, Thunderbird or any other email client cannot be responsible for that.

2) "I have nothing listed below “Add Email Account” (in your webmail account)

So we know that you did not add your daughters' Gmail accounts to your VM email account.

3) "I also get both my daughters emails for their gmail accounts."

What we don't know is whether that means you can only see the emails they receive in their respective Gmail accounts. Whether you can only see the emails they send or whether you can see their incoming and their outgoing emails in your VM account.

Based on those 3 points I would suggest you may have set up what you are referring to as a 'link' between your daughters' Gmail accounts and your VM email account from within their Gmail accounts. You could have done that by setting up an autoforward or by creating special filters to send their emails to your VM email address in both Gmail accounts. Does that ring any bells?Smiley Happy

To check if that is the case, you need to ask your daughters to sign into their Gmail accounts and use the instructions in the link below to check whether there are any autoforwards or filters set up in their respective Gmail accounts. If there are, they will be able to delete them and then their emails will no longer be forwarded to you.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en

Let's see how that goes.Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer