Menu
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unable to sign in using web mail

For the last week or so I've been pretty much unable to sign in to my email using web mail. I'm on a Mac and I've tried four different browsers and two different Macs with the same result – at least 9 times out of 10 all I get is the three grey dots as it tries to connect, followed by a 'timed out' message.

Email app on my iphone works fine so assume there's a problem at Virgin's end – anyone else have the same problem either on a Mac or PC?

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to sign in using web mail

The first question to answer: Do you have a current/paid for VM Broadband service?

If yes, try clearing your browser cache/cookies of all VM links and don't use a bookmark to go to the sign on page. just use my.virginmedia.com and click the sign in button.

If no, then your email address ceased to work 90 days after you closed your broadband account and is in the process of being deleted.

Let us know more of what error messages you get, showing a screen shot if possible, but obscuring any personal information.  Then we can further diagnose a solution.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd be more convinced that this was a browser issue (I am sure from past post history that C_J_W is still a customer) if it wasn't for the fact that several browsers had been tried (and a cookie issue might hit one but not four of them) and for this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/trouble-signing-in-to-emails-connection-timed-out-or-can-...

But let us see C_J_W's response, particularly on whether changing how signing is done has any effect. 

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looks like I've started a new thread with the same problem as mentioned in the link from Howard - sorry about that. Can the Mods merge them?

I've been a Virgin customer with the same email address since day one (hence my .ntlworld address) I've done all the clearing cache etc things which have made no difference. I've just signed into webmail on my MacBook and other than the Virgin logo popping up a couple of times alternating with the three grey dots, I got straight in first time. The only message I ever get is the timed out one, other than that the dots keep fading and returning until webmail opens or I get fed up with waiting.

Looking at the link from Howard it seems that several people are having the same or similar problems. I have no problem signing into my Virgin account – only when trying to sign in to webmail from the email tab on the Virgin Media page or after signing into my account from that page and then trying to sign into email – hope you can all follow that Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@C_J_W

We don't need to merge threads and I'm rather glad about that. Having a separate thread is the best indication that there might be an issue.

I've just checked my web mail and it is fine - smooth log in as expected.

I'd like you to try logging in from the e-mail tab at the top if this page and let us know how you get on please. Post verbatim any error messages you get.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK, been merrily signing in and out for the last half hour on Safari, Firefox and Chrome with no problem. Only browser that wouldn't work for me was Brave but I reckon that one is a browser issue as they've just launched a new version (rather than an update) and although it blocks ads without the annoying "please turn off your ad blocker" message it's also not keen on playing videos in news reports etc. Maybe someone's been beavering around in the background and sorted it but we'll see what tomorrow (or later tonight) brings.

Will post any further developments, good or bad

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Keep us posted. I won't escalate to the VM Forum Team unless this issue appears again. Previous reports have indicated this issue is intermittent

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still able to log in webmail but I forgot to say that I have to tell them I'm not a robot and click on shop fronts etc before it lets me in. Assume this is because I deleted cookies/cleared cache etc? All is still fine on the iphone app (MyMail)

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"recaptcha" appearing unexpectedly and repetitively is also often a sign also of a flakiness on the web mail platform.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK, latest situation – can usually sign in but it's very slow to do it and also navigating folders and opening messages is very slow too. It's useable, but certainly not a slick operation! Every other web page, including virginmedia.com and signing in to my Virgin and Virgin Mobile account from the Virgin home page, opens quicker than the blink of an eye.

I assume there must be other people having this problem so hopefully it's being looked at.

0 Kudos