cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send or receive messages on Thunderbird email

Sourjellybaby
Joining in

Hi

For about 3 weeks now I have been unable to access new messages on my ntl account.  Every time I log in I get a message reading 'Sending of password for user xxx.xxxx@ntlworld.com did not succeed. Mail server pop3.virginmedia.com responded: Authentication failed.

Press OK and a message comes up saying Login to server pop3.virginmedia.com with username xxx.xxxx@ntlworld.com failed.

I have checked and all my server settings are as they should be.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check that the username in settings is not prefixed with 'recent'.

If it is remove the prefix so that the user name is just the full email address including the @domain part.

If not then try changing the password:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check that the username in settings is not prefixed with 'recent'.

If it is remove the prefix so that the user name is just the full email address including the @domain part.

If not then try changing the password:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sourjellybaby, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Email looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. 

I can see you've already been given some advice by @Graham_A about this, could you let us know if this helped at all? 

I have a couple of links here which may help in this instance as well - 

I hope these help, however if not, please come back to us and my team and the VIP's will be glad to help. 

Thanks so much,

Megan_L

Hi Graham

I changed my password at Virgin Media and issue has now resolved.  Thank you so much for your help.

Joe

Hi Megan

As you can see below, Graham's advice on changing my password has now resolved the issue.

Thanks

Joe

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sourjellybaby,

I am pleased that @Graham_A's advice has got this issue sorted for you - if you need any more help, or have any further issues, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team