cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails - "check revocation for the certificate" error

davem1995
Tuning in

I am unable to send emails from any of my email addresses using Outlook SMTP or IMAP when connected to VirginMedia network due to a "check revocation for the certificate" error. Receiving emails works fine.

Having read through a number of threads on this board I can confirm/have checked:

• Only affects SMTP/IMAP when connected to the VM network. If I connect to a mobile phone network or non-VM wifi network then I can send without issue.
  • No password changes have been made and all outgoing settings are correct (as proven by the ability to send over mobile network).
  • Affects main and 2 subsiduary email accounts.
  • Webmail works fine for sending.
  • This has been happening for the last two weeks. I've waited until now in case the issue resolves itself... it hasn't!

Have run the curl command I get the following back:

* Trying 84.116.6.19:465...
* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (84.116.6.19) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
* schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.

I think this needs a forum moderator to raise the issue with one of the technical teams?

14 REPLIES 14

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there davem1995,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for the issues faced with sending emails on 3rd party apps.

Just to clarify on this in terms of steps, has any details been changed at all recently in an attempt to resolve this?

Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain,

No - nothing has changed on any of the email accounts on any device for over 12 months.  I was out this afternoon and managed to send an email from a diferent network.  I'm back home now and have just tried to send an email and it has failed again.

Hi @davem1995,

Thank you for expanding. Have you tried removing and then readding the email accounts to see if that helps at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Given all three accounts stopped sending across a total of seven different devices at the same time, and the issue only happens while connected directly to a VirginMedia network - and no other network - I fail to see what that would achieve.

In addition, the "schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate" message indicates a central VM server issue rather than a user end one.

Other posts in the forum have indicated that if the issue does not go away by itself, then VM need to look into it.

Hi @davem1995,

Is it only via your home Wi-Fi connection that this issue occurs? Are you able to test if the same problem occurs via a wired connection?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

It's both wired and via Wifi - I've also tried both from the same devices - no difference.

Thanks for confirming, just to check, what devices are you seeing this on specifically? Do you have an app password set on these devices too?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I'm seeing it on 2x iphone 8's, 3 x different Android tablets, 2 different types of Windows laptop and a Windows desktop PC.  Device level passwords are on some (not all) of the devices but no app level passwords for the email clients.

Thanks for letting me know, can you please try manually updating your settings. You can find out how to do this here.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules