cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails from ipad, iphone or mac. SMTP settings incorrect.

philaustin
On our wavelength

I've been trying to sort this for over a week now. I was finding I couldn't send emails from any of my Apple devices.

I can log in to the Virgin site to send and receive emails, but not the mail apps on any of my devices. The error messages are always to do with 'smtp settings' (whatever they are; I'm just a user not a comms engineer) .

I think I've tried every possible setting, deleted my email accounts and recreated them on all devices, but I seem to be going around in circles.

Whatever the error messages suggest it doesn't work. 

21 REPLIES 21

Hi Tim, and thanks for all your help. Success of a sort this time. Its telling me my emails have been blocked for too many bad emails, whatever that means. 

* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (212.54.56.51) port 465 (#0)

< 421 csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP xxxxxxxxxxx Too many bad emails have been sent. Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting.

( I typed xxxxxxxx over the ip address just in case its sensitive information. )It appears to be saying I have to look at this site for an answer...

https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport

Thanks ever so much for your patience. I wish I understood all these commands and arguments.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Follow the advice in the error message and file a report there:

As for the comand.

curl connects to a server using the appropriate protocol and can even be used to send a message.

curl - v gives us verbose mode
smtps:// is smtp over secure socket which happens over port 465 by default
smtp.virginmedia.com/ is the url
-u allows us to say we want to send a username and password if we don't put them in the command then we're asked for them before the command continues
"username:password"

All that makes up the first command.

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u "username:password

HOWEVER this outputs everything to the command line. which can be a lot of data and includes the username and password.  Which users have posted in the past.  So we wanted to send all the output to the grep command using the | (pipe) character.  We also need to send all the output to stdout so before we pipe it we use the redirect

2>&1 which directs any output from the error stream to the standard output stream

then we use | grep

I have found a slightly clearer way of specifying the search screen in Linux using greps -P switch (perl regular expression)

'<\s5\d\d\s|<\s4\d\d\s' 

< = < as all messages from the server are indicated with this.
\s =space
5 = the character 5
\d = any digit
\d
\s

The | character in an expression means logical OR

So we then have 

<
\s
\d
\d
\s

So the whole command runs the curl command and ONLY outputs line with '< 5xx ' or '< 4xx ' in them

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u "username:password" 2>&1 | grep '<\s5\d\d\s|<\s4\d\d\s'

Here's a snip of the command in action.  In my case the error is expected.  For one thing I don't have a VM account any more.

ravenstar68_0-1635107321653.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks very much for the breakdown. You mention Linux, but is this Unix? I don't know the difference. I taught myself a bit of Unix back in the 90s working with CAD on Silicon Graphics workstations, still got the textbook, and some bits ring a bell somewhere in my head still. The way a single command line can perform the equivalent of a small program is awesome - taking the long output from a command and finding a particular line containing a certain string in it.

Apologies for posting on this subject again. I've been unable to send emails using any of my Apple devices (mac, phone, ipad) for over a week now. After posting here I recieved lots of good advice from other members enabling me to find the possible cause in a log file.

< 421 csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP xxxxxxxxxxx Too many bad emails have been sent. Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting.

I followed Virgin's advice, filing a request on their web site, pasting the error message into it, and recieved a reference number. Nothing has happened. I still can't send emails from my ipad, mac or phone.

I phoned Virgin today. After being passed from one person to another, the third person (Asian and difficult to understand) told me there was no problem with Virgin because I am able to send emails from the Virgin Mail site. I told her the error is Virgin Media blocking my connecting IP address, and 'too many bad emails have been sent' but she insisted the problems were with the apps I'm running on my Apple devices. She offered to help if I paid £25 now and £5 per month thereafter for technical help with my Apple devices. I don't believe the problem is with my phone, mac, etc, but it's Virgin's problem, and refused to pay as it seems like blackmail. I'm already paying £111 a month for rubbish TV, land line and internet, plus £11 for my mobile. This seems like daylight robbery to me.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @philaustin

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing issues with sending your emails from Apple devices. 

I'm sorry to hear that you contacted us and have had an unsatisfactory experience with us. It sounds like you got transferred through to our Gadget Rescue team, who are a chargable team who can help with third party equipment. We understand that you're unhappy with this and I can assure you that this is definitely not the service we aim to provide for our customers. Apologies about this experience. 

However, If our servers were blocking your IP address, you would be experiencing issues with sending emails from all devices, not just Apple devices. 

Have you been able to follow the advise of our Community Members to see if this can help with your issue? Please keep us updated if you can.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina Z,

Thank you for the apology. Being transferred to the  'gadgets team' was not my choice - Virgin do not appear to have a help line option for problems with the email system. It looks like the two people who answered my phone call before passing me onto the 'gadget team' didn't really know what they were doing. The beautifull red 'Discover Virgin Broadband' pamphlet that came with our router clearly states on the back........

Need some help?

Talk to us.   Want to chat things through with an expert? Call our team on 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone' 

Clearly it wasn't any help and the pamphlet was a waste of resources. (It also tells me to 'be kind to the environment)

Unfortunately I don't have any other devices apart from Apple ones, so I can't try them as you suggest.   (I refuse to have anything MIcrosoft in my house since I got hacked a few years back by some kind soul buying x box gift cards using my bank account through Paypal. This led to heated arguments between myself, Lloyds Bank and Microsoft.)

Can you suggest any other way to test my email setup? I have followed all the advice on the settings that should be used:

outgoing host: smtp.virginmedia.com

username:  (my username here)

password (my password here)

Authentication: password

use SSL

port: 465

save, etc,etc....

please ignore my previous rant.   I just checked my emails and found one from Virgin stating that my emails were being blocked due to 'suspicious activity' and telling me to run a virus check.

I have no idea what the 'suspicious activity' was, but the problem has been resolved.

I checked by sending my wife an email, which she received.

Just think, I could have forked out another £25 plus £5 a month and still not got a solution!

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Philaustin, 

Thank you for taking the time to post your update, glad it is working again for you. Was the £25 charge for gadget rescue? 

Zoie

philaustin
On our wavelength

They did ask for £25, followed by payments of £5 every month for six months minimum. I wasnt aware there was such a department as ‘gadget rescue’. It seemed obvious to me that the problem wasnt with any of my Apple devices; that Virgin were blocking my outgoing emails; all of the evidence pointed to this, but they werent having any of it. For my call for help to get transferred by two different departments to these ‘gadget rescue’ people just shows that they dont listen to customers or understand their problems. This is the result of being a global organisation using workers from wherever they are cheap. I am not impressed!

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Yeah we would run diagnostics on our system and if the result was a referral to Gadget rescue, then this would be the cost. However, I am sorry it was not picked up about any blockage. 

Apologies again for the overall issue but glad all sorted.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill