Menu
Stockham
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send btinternet.com emails when logged into home VM broadband

We are unable to send email from home that ends with "btinternet.com" via the The Virgin IP that is currently issued to us, which is [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] (Dynamic)

I know that all the email settings in outlook are correct as disconnecting from the wifi and using an alternative ISP such as vodafone works. I have also taken a laptop that i use at home into the office, all emails work no problem. I have logged this issue with BT as i am convinced that the BT smtp servers are blocking the mail even before its presented to virgin.

Having checked the IP with spamhaus i get the following information messages appear.

[MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]  is not listed in the SBL

[MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] is not listed in the PBL

[MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]  is not listed in the XBL

I have reached the point where i no longer can understand what needs to happen next, it would help if somebody would take this problem seriously and help me resolve it.

I don't believe that this is an isolated issue and it cant be just me that's having the problem. I have had a bt email address for as long as email addresses were invented so what's changed over the past six weeks, somebody knows what to do. 

Thanks 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to send btinternet.com emails when logged into home VM broadband

Edit out your IP address. Against the rules to post it. Ammunition for hackers. Use "Post Options".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Anything in this thread to help you?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Why-is-my-broadband-not-allowing-me-to-send-emails/td-p/4...

This is unlikely to be a VM issue. VM do not block other ISPs mail servers. The mail goes direct to the BT SMTP servers from your home. VM are not involved. You have raised a ticket with BT - correctly in my view. They may be blocking your IP address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Stockham Relevant to the thread that HowardMl has linked to do you have the basic email account with BT or do you pay for the premium version for those using BT email via a different ISP?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Stockham
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When i changed my broadband service to VM,  I wanted to keep my long standing BT email addresses that the family use. BT offered a service that allowed you to keep your emails called "premium mail" which provides up to 11 mail addresses.   

Regards 

Stockham
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply, i agree as does my business IT support manager but getting BT to own up to the issue is difficult. i have now had three calls all to tell me "its not us" but i will try to escalate up the chain, so frustrating. 

Regards  

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have something nagging at the back of my mind about this situation. But I can't make my concerns concrete and express them. I'll keep thinking if you'll keep nagging BT. But I still think it is an IP block at BT.

0 Kudos