cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create new email address

John_Gray
Superfast

I am in the "Set up a new My Virgin Media account" webpage, have entered a Display Name and the first part of a @virginmedia.com address, and clicked on the Check Availability button.

A small message window says "Updating", for ever.

Ideas, please?  Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 

When in the Manage Accounts tab of the primary account clicking on the button to create an additional secondary account brings up a screen as described by the OP 'Set up a new My Virgin Media account'.

All secondary accounts have their own My VM page which is a cause of much confusion to those who do not understand the terminology.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Right. Sounds like another reason not to use VM mail. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

horseman
Alessandro Volta

@jpeg1 wrote:

Right. Sounds like another reason not to use VM mail. 

Wrong - some of us have utilised 1 primary (NTL) + 14 secondary (NTL) for over a decade! Rotfl……

As Cicero also plagiarised: “damnant quod non intelligunt” - “It’s trivially easy when you know how”[sic] 😛

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@horseman 

With your long experience of the system, you are of course content to have 'saddled' yourself with those addresses. I'm sure you will have taken precautions to back up any important data.

But judging from the number of ordinary users posting on here with problems trying to use what ought be a very simple email system, it really should be avoided. 

For an apparently innocent user to be repeatedly locked out of their messages, or having to request forum help in navigating menus just to add a new address, is simply not acceptable.

And of course they lock themselves into one ISP if they want to keep their emails. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @John_Gray,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing email creating issue. I understand that my colleague was looking into this issue for you, can you confirm how you got on since then and if your issue is still ongoing?

I'll be more than happy to help further if needed. Please keep us updated on your situation.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you, Paulina!

The situation is identical to that I reported on Monday, and previously - never-ending "Updating..." message at the bottom of a small window when trying to create a new email address.

Hi John.

Thank you for reaching back out to us, have you tried on multiple devices and browsers?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

Using Edge instead of Firefox I get:

"Your email address should be between 6 and 40 characters long and should not contain spaces or underscores. It should start with a letter."

Since I am trying to set up [MOD EDIT: Email address removed] this would appear to be the answer.

When was the underscore prohibited in virginmedia.com email addresses?  There was no problem with @blueyonder.co.uk...

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to point out that if you already have an address in the blueyonder.co.uk domain, you can't create the virginmedia.com version.

All virginmedia.com versions of legacy domain email addresses are locked out.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @John_Gray

Thanks for your reply 

I'm going to drop you a private message to collect some more information and investigate this, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs