cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access email on pc

JimH44
On our wavelength

Hi  

I've a problem accessing emails of my own making. 

Firstly I recently purchased a new Windows 11 pc although my old Windows 10 is still working'

A few days ago I noticed that there were two accounts on Outlook (on the new pc) and without thinking I deleted one of them and now I can't get any mail on the new pc.

The mail is all on the website and the old pc but it's no longer getting through to the new one.

I've played around with settings but I can't get it back and VM say it's a problem with Outlook which they can't resolve.

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JimH44 wrote:

Hi

I looked at the link provided by Goslow and the first thing I read was as follows.

Your Virgin Media Mail account
We recommend accessing your mail from My Virgin Media, as this also provides links to our other services and information about your Virgin Media account. Or you can access your mails by selecting the below.

So I don't need Outlook or Mail It's just as quick for me to log on to VM and look at my mail there. Especially as in my case there isn't much of it.

Problem solved. Unless there's a hidden snag I haven't twigged !

Nothing wrong with using a web-only means of access for your emails. Many people use that way of working.

By doing that though, the only copies of your emails will be held by VM on their servers. If anything happens to that data then it is lost, as VM does not keep backups.

I am not familiar with the operation of the built-in Windows Mail app but some email clients allow you to cache a copy of your emails on your PC as well as on the email server. The exact way this works depends on the email program you use and the way the account is set up with the client. Some people like this reassurance of a backup of their emails on their own equipment.

As an aside, and since you are considering your email setup, you might want to think about your future email use.

VM no longer allows new customers to have VM email accounts. Existing customers cannot add new VM email accounts. Many would consider that a possible indication of the direction of future travel for VM's email services.

You could consider setting up a new email account with one of the many free providers and, over time, gradually moving all of your email contacts away from VM and onto a non-ISP provider. This would give you a new email account with better security, better features and better reliability. It would also mean you had more freedom to move broadband providers without being tied to a VM email account (which would be closed if you ever decided to leave VM).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Sololobo
Superstar
Which version of MS Outlook are you using?

See here for more information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-an-email-account-to-outlook-6e27792a-9267-4aa4-8bb6-c...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

JimH44
On our wavelength

The only ref to I can find is  Version 16005.14326.31274.0

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JimH44 wrote:

The only ref to I can find is  Version 16005.14326.31274.0

Are you sure you are using Outlook?

That version number seems to be to do with Microsoft Mail (the mail app built into Windows 10) as per example images

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mail-and-calendar/9WZDNCRFHVQM

JimH44
On our wavelength

Sorry yes it's Mail. I must have thought it was one and the same thing. Whatever it is it worked perfectly well untiI I deleted the second file.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JimH44 wrote:

Sorry yes it's Mail. I must have thought it was one and the same thing. Whatever it is it worked perfectly well untiI I deleted the second file.

Review and check the VM settings for Windows Mail below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

JimH44
On our wavelength

Hi

I looked at the link provided by Goslow and the first thing I read was as follows.

We recommend accessing your mail from My Virgin Media, as this also provides links to our other services and information about your Virgin Media account. Or you can access your mails by selecting the below.

So I don't need Outlook or Mail It's just as quick for me to log on to VM and look at my mail there. Especially as in my case there isn't much of it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JimH44 wrote:

Hi

Nothing wrong with using a web-only means of access for your emails. Many people use that way of working.

By doing that though, the only copies of your emails will be held by VM on their servers. If anything happens to that data then it is lost, as VM does not keep backups.

I am not familiar with the operation of the built-in Windows Mail app but some email clients allow you to cache a copy of your emails on your PC as well as on the email server. The exact way this works depends on the email program you use and the way the account is set up with the client. Some people like this reassurance of a backup of their emails on their own equipment.

As an aside, and since you are considering your email setup, you might want to think about your future email use.

VM no longer allows new customers to have VM email accounts. Existing customers cannot add new VM email accounts. Many would consider that a possible indication of the direction of future travel for VM's email services.

You could consider setting up a new email account with one of the many free providers and, over time, gradually moving all of your email contacts away from VM and onto a non-ISP provider. This would give you a new email account with better security, better features and better reliability. It would also mean you had more freedom to move broadband providers without being tied to a VM email account (which would be closed if you ever decided to leave VM).

JimH44
On our wavelength

You make some good points and while the email comes in very handy at times, as an older retired person I don't make great use of it. Most communications with family and friends are done with WhatsApp now. 

I shall have to resist meddling in future.

Thanks for you help.

Hi @JimH44,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear of the issues you've had with using your email account/service with us via your mail client app. Has the advice provided by the community above helped at all?

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!