Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trying and failing to use a new Virginmedia email / spam email warning

Hi mrg9999,

If you could reply to the PM we've sent that would be great Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I thought this was private. 
I have no unanswered purple messages.

How do I get the incorrect email address removed from my profile ?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@mrg9999 wrote:

Sorry I thought this was private.

Most definitely not private. The clue is in the two words 'Community' and 'Forum'. The community is potentially all Virgin Media Customers and like many forums, you do not actually have to sign up to be able to read the posts. Smiley Wink

I have no unanswered purple message

Once you have signed into the Forum, look right at the top of the Forum page/screen you will see this, but it will say 'mrg9999' instead of Coenoby. (Coenoby is meSmiley Happy)

Privat message.png

You should see a 1 or possibly a higher number against the purple envelope.

How do I get the incorrect email address removed from my profile ?

The first step is to click on the purple (Private Message) envelope and then you need to reply to the message and give the information that is being requested. No one other than the person who sent you the PM will be able to see your reply.

If there is no number against the envelope please post again and let us know.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

There is no number on 2019-02-07 - no number.jpgthe envelope

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

One wonders if @Natalie_L forgot to send the PM - It wouldn't be the first time it's been overlooked over the years.

@ModTeam can you check into this?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi

how can I get this moved on?

What I want is the inaccessible address removed from my profile and a new one putting in as a primary one. 

I was a bit disappointed that the email password is limited to 10 characters and only letters and numbers, and has to start with a letter.. It could be brrute 

forced quite quickly by a bad person. I hope the screen shot below doesn't break any rules

2019-02-06 - no complex.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Well we can dispose of one question immediately. Neither you nor VM can change your primary e-mail address. That is fixed for ever in the system and the account to which it relates. Stop that line of wishful thinking.

Second question about removing inaccessible addresses. That would depend on the answers you give to the PMs you have been sent but not apparently received and we are chasing this for you. The VM Forum Team will respond in due course.

Third point - your latest image doesn't breach any rules because it contains no personal information.

The password limitations that VM set are with us for the foreseeable future because VM inherited a large number of legacy systems from the cable companies that merged to form NTL and Telewest which both later merged and rebranded as VM when they bought Virgin Mobile.

VM have always known about this issue but seem unwilling or unable to make the necessary investments to change, preferring instead to concentrate investment on expanding the network and raising line speeds. So there will be no movement on that one either.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

>Well we can dispose of one question immediately. Neither you nor VM can change your primary e-mail address. That is fixed for ever in the system and the account to which it relates. Stop that line of wishful thinking.

It appears to be that this is the email address generating the SPAM!!

If it can't be changed, that seems like quite a serious flaw!

If would be helpful if someone could send me some log files, it's all a bit hearsay at the moment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VM do not disclose their log-files. But they can tell you what address is possibly implicated in sending spam and advise what can be done to deal with it.

It is not a flaw that the primary e-mail address cannot be changed. To allow such a thing to happen would require wholesale reprogramming of the VM sign-on and accounting, billing and ordering systems. In the end the customer pays.

And a thought strikes me. Click on the PM envelope to see if the PM from Natalie is there.  The numerical indication will disappear if the envelop is clicked on but the message is not read.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

How do I flag a private message to moderators

I've replied to the latest as the instruction given by the employee  Joe, [MOD EDIT: Staff ID removed]   does not work.
I've sent screen shots. How can I get this escalated ?

0 Kudos