Menu
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Trying and failing to use a new Virginmedia email / spam email warning

I have received  this email purporting to be from Virgin, although it looks suspicious the date at the bottom is 2013!

I have tried to run the programs suggested and these and my main Symantec AV that finds all systems clean.

I've never been able to login to virginmedia email, it's always said "mailbox unavailable". and support have never been able to resolve it. - can someone from the forum to check and hopefully get it disabled. I have always used google gmail via a web browser / phone.

Devices I have connected.

• Superhub
  • A few laptops running Ubuntu all patched. some running windows 10 Virtual machines
  • 2 freesat boxes
  • A few Amazon fire TVs
  • Amazon echos
  • Hue lamps
  • Some Ipads, iphones android phones all using latest patches.

--

Your Virgin Media account number: ##########

Our Reference: VMIS82-SPAMBOT-F006882707

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear  XXXX
We’ve been notified that spam emails are coming from a device using your internet connection. We don’t know which device this is, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions,including any credit card purchases, could be at risk.

It’s likely that a device connected to your broadband is infected with malware. This probably isn’t your fault, but it's important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic is stopped as soon as possible. We’ll help you do this below.

We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy.

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean-up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/spambot

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Media Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

--

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trying and failing to use a new Virginmedia email / spam email warning

Hi and welcome to the community.

While normally I say you should be careful when posting suspect emails on here because of the links, in this case it has helped me confirm that the mail is genuine.

Pointers that enable me to say this.

1. Virgin Media reference code.
2. Links are both genuine Virgin Media links - The first going to a Virgin Media help page, the second going to My Virgin Media

The Forum Team can try and assist further but you will need time for them to get to this thread.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrg9999,

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to the community.

We are always on the alert for any potential issues with customer online security. If an infection is detected  then the customer is alerted and advised on the necessary remedial action.

However, we are not able to identify the specific infected device, only the IP address from which it was detected along with the date/time.

This should help you narrow down the offending device though securing all devices on your home network is the best action to take.

Please read this article: 

Malware Alert

If you do get another alert from us please post on here and we'll investigate further.

Thanks, 

Nat
MissPasko
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@mrg9999 wrote:

I have received  this email purporting to be from Virgin, although it looks suspicious the date at the bottom is 2013!

I have tried to run the programs suggested and these and my main Symantec AV that finds all systems clean.

I've never been able to login to virginmedia email, it's always said "mailbox unavailable". and support have never been able to resolve it. - can someone from the forum to check and hopefully get it disabled. I have always used google gmail via a web browser / phone.

Devices I have connected.

• Superhub
  • A few laptops running Ubuntu all patched. some running windows 10 Virtual machines
  • 2 freesat boxes
  • A few Amazon fire TVs
  • Amazon echos
  • Hue lamps
  • Some Ipads, iphones android phones all using latest patches.

I note this (highlighted) part of your explanation and that you expressed concern a year ago on the same matter. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Received-letter-about-sending-spam/m-p/3628696 

Can a Forum Team member have a closer look to help resolve this customers email access problem and maybe find the root cause?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

mrg 9999, I have sent you a private message to request a few more details to allow us to be able to look in the email issue further for you.  The private message should appear when selecting the purple envelope icon on the top right of the page. 

Thanks 

Nat
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've tried to set up a new email address but every time I try I get the "page is unavailable" and give up. can someone try this on my behalf? and report back

I'd really like to know the email address used for the spam

It's a pity that providers like virgin and others haven't got into  the 20th century and provide 2FA (two factor authentication) for their products like email. This would kill much spam and misuse.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Have you replied to the private message that Natalie _L sent you. That would be a good place to start. The message you are seeing is caused by an issue on VM's back-end systems. The information requested will help them to track down the cause and fix it.

2FA would do nothing to kill spam. It might help with hacking but most of the hacking that goes on is caused by data breaches in myriad other places and sites with billions of e-mail addresses and credentials being available on the dark web. VM have not reported any breaches themselves which they are required to do by law. If you want 2FA then use an e-mail provider that offers this. Both the major free providers do. You do not have to be tied to VM, and it is better not to be tied to your ISP because when you leave you lose your address(ses)

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi these the the email addresses on the profile page that I can't change or loginto. 
2019-02-06 - virgin email addresses.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@mrg9999 

Have you responded to @Natalie_L 's private message?

If you click the purple Envelope at the top right of the page you'll be able to read and answer it.

Natalie works for VM - she'll help you out.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You can lead a horse to water etc....!

@mrgg9999 - you have just posted an image of live e-mail addresses on the Forum which is the perfect way not to protect your privacy and ensure a deluge of spam because this is a public forum which is regularly scanned by spambots and live spammers for fresh addresses to use. I have asked the Mods to remove the image.

In any event the private message sent to you by Natalie_L would have asked for these addreses so you could provide them securely and without risking your privacy.

Natalie_L is waiting for your reply. Any chance you might take the advice you have been given and help to get this issue resolved?

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.