cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truncated emails

alienor
Dialled in

For the last few days email saved searches from ebay arrive with this message 'This message has been truncated due to size limitations'. Ebay say the problem is not at their end. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @alienor

Thanks for posting this back on here and sorry to hear this is causing you issues. 

This is just something we do and laid out by default so not something we can change regrettably.

We are more than happy to pass  this on as feedback if you are unhappy with this. 

Thanks  

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This message has been truncated due to size limitations. is followed by Show entire message, select this to view entire message.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes thank you I know that. The point is that the images for the searches have always appeared in the emails and having to take extra actions to show the entire message defeats the purpose of having the emails. It is obviously not working properly. I am trying to find out the cause.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I agree, it is odd behaviour that a message cannot be read in its entirety due to an arbitrary limit but is likely working as intended / designed; you will need to wait for the forum team to confirm.

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @alienor

Thanks for posting this back on here and sorry to hear this is causing you issues. 

This is just something we do and laid out by default so not something we can change regrettably.

We are more than happy to pass  this on as feedback if you are unhappy with this. 

Thanks  

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

andrew91
On our wavelength

I wonder ... why does this issue only seem to affect ebay "saved searches" emails?

These emails are typically around 55k; other emails I receive can be far bigger than this, but they don't get truncated.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andrew91 wrote:

I wonder ... why does this issue only seem to affect ebay "saved searches" emails?

Possibly it is caused by something in the content of those eBay emails or by the way they are generated.

Those 'saved search' emails are all sent as HTML format, so something in the HTML formatting of the messages might be corrupted or more likely, is not being read correctly when the message is displayed.

Would be interesting to know if the truncation appears in all email apps and clients or if it only appears when they are viewed in VM Webmail.

I have a 'saved search' set up in eBay but to a non VM address and I have never seen the "message truncated" notification. What I always see in the email is:

"6 (for example) new matches today"

then the images are displayed

and then there is a box

ebay search results.png

which is a link to my full search results on the eBay website.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

andrew91
On our wavelength

If I download the emails from the VM mail server using POP3, the messages don't get truncated.

So it looks as if the truncation is being performed by VM's web-based mail client rather than deeper within VM's mail system.

Thanks for your post and updates, andrew91,

We would be unsure what this is occurring only with eBay, especially if you are getting emails of much larger sizes. This might be a standard setting, as per an earlier reply within this thread, but I can double-check for you with our internet securities team, if you like. I might need to collect your account details incase they need an example of what might be occurring, so I'll send you a private message.

Cheers,

Corey C

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is not an eBay specific issue, it just so happens that some of their longer emails trigger webmail's truncation function.

As @Sasha_W confirmed in an earlier post here the size limitation that caused truncation of a message in webmail is by design and cannot be changed by the user; NB the message itself is stored in its entirety and can be viewed by select the Show entire message link