cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring emails as I am moving house to a Non Virgin area

Sareyware
Joining in

Hello.

I am moving house to a new build estate that has BT Fibre and not Virgin - no cable services at all. This is fine if we just want to get our TV and Broadband service elsewhere, but my husband and I have both had blueyonder email addresses for the last 25 years. We were with Telewest before it became Virgin! We are very loyal customers!

I've read that unlike BT where you can pay a nominal fee a month to retain your email address after changing service providers, Virgin do not allow this....and close the mailboxes down. Boom.

Is this correct?

Is there a way to keep our email addresses?

If not, is there a way to add mail forwarding/transfer our mailbox contents?

Many thanks in advance for assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sareyware wrote:

Hello.

I am moving house to a new build estate that has BT Fibre and not Virgin - no cable services at all. This is fine if we just want to get our TV and Broadband service elsewhere, but my husband and I have both had blueyonder email addresses for the last 25 years. We were with Telewest before it became Virgin! We are very loyal customers!

I've read that unlike BT where you can pay a nominal fee a month to retain your email address after changing service providers, Virgin do not allow this....and close the mailboxes down. Boom.

Is this correct?

Yes

No

You can't add forwarding as it's set up on the mailbox itself, once that's gone so is the forwarding.
With regard to trasferring your mail, consider using a tool such as Mailstore - https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/  to download the mail to your computer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You get 90 days access after leaving and VM are then supposed to delete the account. This isn't very reliable and sometimes accounts live on longer but you should not rely on that. VM seem keen now to clear out old email accounts and have stopped current customers from creating new VM email addresses.

There is an old forum topic below about archiving emails but it is quite old, from 2017 so use at your own risk and to do some research on the latest versions of the software mentioned to confirm it is suitable for you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

Prior to your move, you could set up some new email addresses elsewhere and you could forward your Blueyonder emails on to those. Before your 90 days is up though, I would suggest removing that forwarding because your account may no longer be accessible to you after that and could potentially forward spam to your new accounts and you would have no ability to turn off the forwarding once the VM deletion process begins.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sareyware wrote:

Hello.

Is this correct?

Yes

No

You can't add forwarding as it's set up on the mailbox itself, once that's gone so is the forwarding.
With regard to trasferring your mail, consider using a tool such as Mailstore - https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/  to download the mail to your computer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks