Menu
MikeMartin
Up to speed
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Transferring an email account

Virgin Media 1st line technical support suggested I came here. I think the following must be a common issue, but I could not find a solution here after reading around 100 posts.

Both my son and I have separate active Virgin Media broadband accounts (different houses), plus both of us are the account holder for their respective accounts.  Both of our accounts were setup when the company was NTL, so both our primary email accounts are ntlworld accounts. As is often the case my son’s email address is the login for numerous accounts scattered all around the web, so it is important he keeps his email address.

My son and his wife are splitting up, and both have ntlworld email addresses under my son’s Virgin Media account.  My son is moving back in with us, with his wife is staying in their current house and she is remaining with Virgin Media broadband (+TV etc).

We want to do is move my son’s ntlworld email address so it is registered under my Virgin Media account, and for my son’s wife to also maintain her ntlworld email address.

We have no issue about archiving the existing emails into local outlook mail folders before transferring the email account (shoukd that prove necessary).  The issue we have are:-

1) How do we transfer my son’s ntlworld.com email to my account?

2) How do we maintain his wife’s email address if my son is the current account holder and he moves his email address to my account.

As regards 1):- I solved this problem a decade ago (for my daughter), but that was when an account holder could generate new ntlworld.com address (now you can’t). My daughter archived all her mailbox locally into outlook folders, she then deleted her mailbox, and a second after we generated the same email address as a new ntlworld address but under my account. We can’t do that now as all new email addresses are virginmedia.com addresses.

As regards 2):- In the past you could reassign which email address was the account’s master email address, but I am not sure you can that now. We could technically leave my son’s account under his name, but for his wife to then login to see Virgin bills, I think she would have to use his password to get into the account.  So there would be a major security issue, unless you can have different passwords for the account login and my son’s email address.

Sorry about the length of explanation, but it must be a very common problem, and there should be a Virgin solution (although not obvious to Virgin 1st line support, of couse).

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferring an email account

On first reading your are not going to be happy with the available outcomes.  VM email accounts and their legacy ones including ntlworld.com are linked to specific VM broadband accounts.  As far as I know from several years experience as a member of this forum, it isn't possible to move an email address from one account to another.  There is a 'Move and Transfer' process, but that would wipe out all the existing email accounts on the account to which the transfer is made.  So in your case it would mean wiping out your email addresses in order to transfer your sons addresses to your account.

The best way forward is for all parties concerned to set up new email addresses that are independent of any ISP and to begin letting their contacts know the new contact details and to change any online registrations using the existing addresses.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Really, he should rip off the plaster and just get a new email address, not linked to an ISP.  We had a similar (well, it included a break-up) case recently and that was the conclusion.  And why would your son really want his parents in control of his email?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closing-an-ntlworld-email-and-transferring-messages/m-p/3...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeMartin,

It is as Graham says I'm sorry.

Please read my post here for the full explanation but basically we can only link all the email addresses from an old account to a current account, we can't select individual ones. Plus the former account must no longer be active.

A thought though:

Is your son's VM account currently in his name or his wife's?

If the former then his wife will likely have to request a name-change - this process will actually result in a new VM account being set up in her name with the option for her to create new email addresses.

Now, if that happens, your son's former VM account will become inactive and it may be possible to link his old Mail Service (and all email addresses contained) to your VM account. But you would lose all of your current email addresses (VM addresses, all domains).

If the above is an option you'd like to explore I shall be happy to sort it out for you. Just update on here 🙂

But if your son's VM account is already in his wife's name, then she will retain full ownership of the associated email addresses, and can change passwords or delete accounts. In that event it might be best for your son to acquire a new email address and begin the process of winding down the VM ones.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
MikeMartin
Up to speed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Jen_A.

I have an idea.

Is there any possibility of generating a ntlworld address as a new email under my account.

If so then what is wrong the the following solution (which is what I have done in the past):-

1) Get my son’s existing Virgin Media account transferred into my son’s wife’s name i.e. a new account but transferring all the email addresses and existing contents. Then

2) My son backs up all his mails (in & out) to his local PC.

3) Then his email ntlworld address gets deleted from his wife’s new Virgin account.

4) I then get you to immediately generate my son’s existing email address but under my account.

That was how I did it the past for my daughter (following Virgin’s advice), but that required being able to generate new addresses under my account with ntlworld.com addresses (so was about a decade ago).

What do you think?

It would be so helpful if that was a solution as my son has many, many account across the internet (like so many people) where he has registered his ntlworld email address. Many of which he cannot remember.

If he knew all the issues in advanve he would have used a different email address not tied to any ISP, but that is a view based only upon hindsight.

If you could be helpful, this two decade old customer of Virgin (ntl etc) would be most grateful (grovel, grovel).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure Jen_A will reply in due course, but to set expectations in context, it hasn't been possible to create new ntlworld.com email addresses for a number of years.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@MikeMartin wrote:

my son has many, many account across the internet (like so many people) where he has registered his ntlworld email address. Many of which he cannot remember.

If he knew all the issues in advance he would have used a different email address not tied to any ISP, but that is a view based only upon hindsight.

No time like the present - then he won't be beholden to anyone for email access.  Good luck to you both!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

you can no longer create addresses that have been used before. this would be a massive security problem.

Think if you left Vm when your email address was deleted if i could create it again. All your old emails start coming to me and i can now take over any account you have not changed the email address to by resetting passwords.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

In addition to appy's words of wisdom, I'm pretty sure the system will no longer allow the creation of sub accounts with any of the three legacy domains.  Blueyonder, NTLWorld, Virgin.net

The legacy addresses on the system are simply those  that were already there at the time NTL/Telewest rebranded.  All the mechanisms for adding addresses under those domains have long since gone. 

I've cautioned against relying on ISP addresses as your main email addresses, precisely because of situations like this.  There are very few ISP's who let you keep your email indefinitely as server space costs money at the end of the day.

In addition the model that Virgin Media uses can and does cause problems in the event of a split even at the best of times.  While an email profile has a main account holder, for which Virgin Media alone can handle password resets, that account holder is actually the email administrator for ALL THE EMAIL ADDRESSES ON THAT PROFILE.

I've seen two or three threads on here last year where an acrimonious split has meant that someone is locked out of their account with Virgin Media unable to assist, precisely because of this.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As has already been advised  on here - the creation of legacy domains (blueyonder, ntlworld, virgin.net)  is not possible. All newly created addresses will have @VirginMedia.com

Sorry 😞

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos