cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer email address to different subscription

TM
Dialled in

Hi,

My daughter uses a subsidiary email address linked to my VM subscription from the days when she lived at home. However, my daughter has her own house now and has her own VM subscription.

I will be leaving VM soon and would like to know if it's possible for my daughter to keep her email address by transferring it to her own subscription

Regards

10 REPLIES 10

jem101
Superstar

@TM alas no this isn't possible I'm afraid

Hi,

The sticky thread from ravenstar68 titled "Orpah Email Accounts" suggests it might actually be possible (see quote below)

>> I have an account can I get access to my email?

>> If you have a current broadband account then Virgin Media can ATTEMPT to link the old email address to your account if you so wish.

>> As explained above, this would result in any email addresses currently linked to the account being deleted though.

Any chance I can get an answer from someone from Virgin Media?

Regards

TM
Dialled in

Alternatively, what would happen if I were to delete the particular secondary email account from my VM subscription. Would my daughter then be able to register it to her VM subscription, and if so, would there be a waiting period between the two actions?

I appreciate that doing it this way, if possible and successful, would mean she would lose any emails currently stored, but I don't think that would be a problem for her.

Anything is better than her having to go through all the agencies/businesses/people she currently deals with to change over to a completely new email address, which is a major PITA

Regards

TM
Dialled in

Ah! It looks like it is not possible to create name@ntlworld.com email addresses, only name@virginmedia.com ones, so maybe my last suggestion is a no-go! 😞

Sololobo
Superstar

@TM wrote:

Hi,

My daughter uses a subsidiary email address linked to my VM subscription from the days when she lived at home. However, my daughter has her own house now and has her own VM subscription.

I will be leaving VM soon and would like to know if it's possible for my daughter to keep her email address by transferring it to her own subscription

Regards

Certain criteria must be met to allow a "move and transfer" of email accounts. These criteria are noted below.
( Source: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Can-t-log-in-to-virgin-net-email/td-p/4140683/pag... )

Note: A move and transfer is primarily used when an account holder is moving to a different physical address but wishes to retain access to their historical email addresses.

• The email address in question must be active
  • The disconnected account and active broadband account must have the same account holder
  • It must be the account holder who contacts us
  • Full DPA must be passed on both accounts

If any of the above criteria are not met, we are unable to transfer the orphaned email account. 

Transferring an email address to another account, held by a different account holder at a different address should therefore not be permitted. (Criteria 2)

A move and transfer would transfer all currently active email addresses across to the new account.
If a "move and transfer" was to be carried out it would mean that the new account holder would have full access to all the email accounts previously held and administered by the original account holder, including historical data currently held on the email server.

This has serious Data Protection implications for the original account holder and should again not be permitted.

Whether full DPA is passed on both accounts or not, transferring email account access to what is effectively a "third party" would clearly be in breach of DPA regulations. (Criteria 4)

Your daughter would be best served by setting up an email account of her own, whether a virginmedia.com one on her own VM account or one provided by a third party (GMail, Outlook.com etc.) and forwarding all her emails to that, or downloading and saving her historical VM emails to an email client. 

Using a third party email address would be best as any move to a different ISP will have no effect on the availability of her email account.

Then it's a case of changing all associated accounts (social, banking, commercial, retail etc.) to the new email address. Yes, it's time consuming and frustrating but in the end worth it.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

@Sololobo wrote:

@TM wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Certain criteria must be met to allow a "move and transfer" of email accounts. These criteria are noted below.
( Source: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Can-t-log-in-to-virgin-net-email/td-p/4140683/pag... )

Note: A move and transfer is primarily used when an account holder is moving to a different physical address but wishes to retain access to their historical email addresses.

• The email address in question must be active
  • The disconnected account and active broadband account must have the same account holder
  • It must be the account holder who contacts us
  • Full DPA must be passed on both accounts

If any of the above criteria are not met, we are unable to transfer the orphaned email account. 

Transferring an email address to another account, held by a different account holder at a different address should therefore not be permitted. (Criteria 2)

A move and transfer would transfer all currently active email addresses across to the new account.
If a "move and transfer" was to be carried out it would mean that the new account holder would have full access to all the email accounts previously held and administered by the original account holder, including historical data currently held on the email server.

This has serious Data Protection implications for the original account holder and should again not be permitted.

Whether full DPA is passed on both accounts or not, transferring email account access to what is effectively a "third party" would clearly be in breach of DPA regulations. (Criteria 4)

Your daughter would be best served by setting up an email account of her own, whether a virginmedia.com one on her own VM account or one provided by a third party (GMail, Outlook.com etc.) and forwarding all her emails to that, or downloading and saving her historical VM emails to an email client. 

Using a third party email address would be best as any move to a different ISP will have no effect on the availability of her email account.

Then it's a case of changing all associated accounts (social, banking, commercial, retail etc.) to the new email address. Yes, it's time consuming and frustrating but in the end worth it.

Hi Sololobo,

Many thanks for your detailed response. I now have a much better understanding of the legal and technical difficulties with the question I posed. It has always seemed to me that ISP based email is a future pitfall for the unwary, which is why I have my own (paid for) domain and email redirection service.

I will speak to my daughter and explain the situation. However, I have a nagging recollection that when she originally set up her subscription, she used the secondary email address from my subscription, so I need to double check with her what the exact position is so her subscription is totally independent of mine.

I have two other daughters who also have secondary email accounts on my VM subscription, so I'm not flavour of the month at the moment!!

Regards

Tony

Hi @TM

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thank you for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are leaving us soon? Is there anything we can do to help your mind?

In regards to the transfer of an email account, we can only attempt this if both accounts have the same account holder.

Kind Regards,

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Nothing you can do now I'm afraid. The main problem I face is disentangling my daughter (who has her own VM subscription) from her ntlworld.com email address, which is actually a secondary email on my VM subscription, and will cease to exist in 90 days or so. This secondary email address is used for her VM billing, amongst other things.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for the message. I have looked into this for you and can confirm that you would not be able to transfer a secondary email address to her account. ^Chris.