cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer WLM email folders to my Virgin Webmail account

RSE1
Joining in

I currently use Windows Live Mail as my Virgin email client on W 10, and have many local folders. I want to ditch WLM, and just use my Virgin Webmail account. How do I transfer all my WLM folders to my Virgin webmail account?

5 REPLIES 5

Sololobo
Superstar

Is your Windows Live Mail client set up for POP or IMAP access?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi

Many thx for reply. It's set up for POP3 access.

Rgds

RSE1

I'd suggest you set up your account in Windows Live Mail for IMAP access and ensure all your existing folders and emails are transferred to the VM server.

Once you have confirmed they are all available on the server it's then just a case of using webmail for access.

Backup all your emails before following the instructions below. Remember, any steps you take are at your own risk!

Don't remove the POP3 account yet.

Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties. On the General tab, deselect Include this account when receiving mail or synchronising, then click Apply and OK. This will ensure that the account folders will remain intact with their contents.

Then set up the IMAP account, and once the folders have been downloaded and populated with the contents of the folders on the IMAP server, you can select folders and messages in the POP3  account and drag them to the IMAP account. They will eventually be uploaded to the folder on the IMAP server. You might want to do the same with the Sent items and Drafts folder.

Once you're sure that all of your messages have been uploaded to the server, and that there are none in folders under the old account that you need to keep that aren't in folders under the new account, you can right-click on the old account and select Remove account. This will remove the account from the folder pane and permanently delete all its folders and the messages in them.

This is irreversible, so make absolutely certain that you want to do this before going ahead.

VM server settings are as noted below:

Incoming  

Account typeIMAP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port993
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com

or:

Account typePOP3
Server port995
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostpop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing  

Account typeSMTP
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

Good luck.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thank you so much for this detail. I'll try this at the w/e when I have more time to concentrate!

Rgds

RSE1

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RSE1  Personally I would think long and hard before making such a move.

You can only keep your Virgin media email address for as long as you remain a VM broadband customer.

Putting all your eggs in the VM basket of Virgin Media Mail is a potentially high risk strategy.

Consider using a different email client so that you can ensure that you retain access to your stored emails and folders should you ever have to leave Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks