Menu
JMur
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Too Many EMail Recipients VM 503

I've read the explanation about too many recipients but I'm puzzled as I got it when I'd only sent out a couple of emails to individuals.  The list had 103 so does this mean I exceeded the limit even tho I hadn't sent anything.  And I could continue to send individual emails with abandon! Also I was BCC the list. Is this a problem.  What I have to send out was time critical so I'm finding this very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Too Many EMail Recipients VM 503

Was it definitely a VM503 error?  Last I checked Virgin Media have VM500 501 and 502 which are all too many recipients messages.

VM500 per message
VM501 per hour
VM502 per day.

Bear in mind that the email service is a value added service provided to residential customers.  If you regularly need to message large numbers of people and email is time sensitive then you should be using a professional business level email service or running your own servers (on a static IP).

VM do have higher sending limits using webmail, however again this is not infinite.

Understand that a recipient is counted when you have

a TO: address
a cc: address
a bcc: address

So if you send to one person and bcc 3 others then that is 4 recipients total.

And while you might think you can send to individuals with abandon - you can't - for each email you send the recipient count is added to a rolling hourly and daily total.  If you reach the hourly rolling limit, you're stopped for the next 60 minutes, if after this you manage to reach the 24 hour rolling limit, you'll get too many recipient errors for the next 24 hours.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
JMur
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks....v full explanation. So what are my hourly and daily limits. I’m guessing 100 daily but hourly total would be good so I can manage my expectations!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This all VM publish about the sending limits, to do more would negate their anti-spam effectiveness;  particularly the hourly limit:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

So that is limit of our ability to answer your question and VM staff won't let on here either!

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin don't state all the limits but they do state here

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

If you use a POP or IMAP client (Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, e.g.), you may only send a message to 100 people at a time. Your account should be re-enabled within 24 hours.

Note that sending 1 mail with 100 recipients won't necessarily breach the hourly or 24 hour limits, but it will be counted against those limits.

Also note that if you are sending from outside the Virgin Media network, particularly from an IP range known to be used by spammers, for example some parts of the US then the recipient limits are reduced.  Again Virgin Media won't release firm figures as such knowledge could be abused by spammers.

Tim

Edit -> Drat beaten to the punch.  Thanks Howard Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
JMur
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I’m glad there is such a robust anti-spam process. Now I know I can work round it.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@JMur wrote:

I've read the explanation about too many recipients but I'm puzzled as I got it when I'd only sent out a couple of emails to individuals.

I’m glad there is such a robust anti-spam process. Now I know I can work round it.

Just a thought but if you are constantly coming up against the 'Too many Email Recipients' error and you genuinely cannot see how you can be emailing enough recipients to justify that, there may be another reason.

You may not be sending enough but is someone else sending emails using your VM account?

Have you seen any mailer-daemon non delivery messages? That would suggest someone has hacked your email password and is sending out spam using your VM account and password.

It would also be worth taking a few moments to sign directly into your VM Webmail account and checking if there are any filter rules or an auto forward there that you know nothing about. Again, that would mean that your account has been hacked.

If you find evidence that your Webmail account has be accessed by someone or if you have received any mailer-daemon non delivery messages then you should follow the advice here: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

I am not saying that is what is happening but it is worth you taking steps to check it out. It has been happening recentlySmiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby - Bear in mind that this is a residential service, the SMTP relays are more likely to be abused by spammers and thus will have more restrictive policies on them.

Certainly if the OP is sending a single email to 100 users, I can see them breaching the 24 hour sending limits very quickly (possibly 2 or 3 emails).  There's no reason anyone using a residential email service should need to send that many mails on a regular basis.

Tim