Menu
SDC
Well-informed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tidying up before closing secondary accounts

Three of my ntlworld.com secondary email accounts are no longer used so I'm in My Virgin Media > My profile > Manage accounts and I am about to delete them.

Before I do so, should I bother to go into webmail to remove the auto-forwarding addresses and/or reset the spam filtering preferences to the default setting, or should none of that matter?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Servicing defective PTT button actuators since 2010.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Guinness to really show your appreciation.
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... I work for peanuts. And I'm a die-hard Eudora fan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tidying up before closing secondary accounts

This reply is without knowledge of the detailed backend process, but instinct would suggest deleting from Manage Accounts should be all that is required.

That said, it would be a good belt and braces approach to delete any auto forwarding first. I can't see changing the spam settings being relevant.
SDC
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tidying up before closing secondary accounts

Cheers for that, Graham, what you say all makes sense.

Sadly, this email platform often doesn't :-(

I'll wait a day or so in case anyone else has anything else to contribute before I hit the big red button.

Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Guinness to really show your appreciation.

0 Kudos
SDC
Well-informed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Here we go again...

Well, this morning I closed those three ntlworld.com secondary email accounts and duly received three emails, each with the subject "You've successfully deleted an account"...

and all three were sent to my non-preferred ntlworld.com contact email address rather than to my preferred contact email address (the one that was set up and verified back in September 2017).

It's a bunch of @r5e.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Here we go again...

SDC wrote:

Well, this morning I closed those three ntlworld.com secondary email accounts and duly received three emails, each with the subject "You've successfully deleted an account"...

and all three were sent to my non-preferred ntlworld.com contact email address rather than to my preferred contact email address (the one that was set up and verified back in September 2017).

It's a bunch of @r5e.

As I understand it the successful closure messages for secondary accounts, as with password change confirmations, are sent to the primary email account as this is the account that 'owns' the email addresses concerned.  This would not necessarily be your preferred contact address.

SDC
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

As I understand it the successful closure messages for secondary accounts, as with password change confirmations, are sent to the primary email account as this is the account that 'owns' the email addresses concerned.  This would not necessarily be your preferred contact address.

TBH I don't know why I expected it to be any different - since I changed my preferred contact address on both VM and VMob, I've had to have VM staff / VMob staff / Forum staff correct everything manually in order to use it... VM broadband billing, VM promo emails, Medallia survey questionnaires, VMob billing, VMob promo emails, the list goes on...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In this instance it seems entirely correct to me to send the notification to the email address of the secondary account owner. 

Otherwise if a hacker had broken into the account and changed the preferred contact address and then deleted or changed the password on a secondary account the owner would not get the notification warning of the change.