Menu
paperman
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thunderbird randomly deleting emails

I have been using Thunderbird as my email client for many years. I very often get a backlog of emails in my inboxes and so I delete those messages that I think are not important. When I delete them they go into the deleted folder for my attention at a later date. These messages have always stayed in the deleted folder until I permanently manualy delete them.

Twice recently all but about a weeks messages vanished from this folder. Only the deleted folder is affected and the emails do not appear on the VM server either.

I have only used about 3% of the available resources and I can not find why this is happening.

Any suggestions appreciated.

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 3268 running Windows 10

Thank you

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Thunderbird randomly deleting emails

DO NOT USE the Trash or Deleted Folders for storage.

This is nothing to do with Thunderbird.  I can't find the reference quickly, but Virgin auto-clears those folders on a regular basis (and the same is true of most email providers).  Use the archive function (see webmail) or make your own folders for things you want to keep.

Personally, I double-delete things to remind myself that the trash folder is not a storage area, mine is always empty.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

paperman
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your quick response. I will do as you suggest and direct emails to a new folder.

I will have a general tidy up as well. I have got emails goiing back years in various folders! I see that I did archive some messages in 2010 Smiley Surprised

Thanks again

paperman
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.
All emails have now been removed from the trash folder
0 Kudos