cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird password issue

mrleg
Tuning in

Hi all

I have used Thunderbird on PC for many years with no issues. 

Yesterday, the email app on my phone (Galaxy S20+) asked me for a password... something it has never done before. I couldn't remember it so decided to sort out later.

Once back at home, I opened TB and got this message... "Login to server imap.virginmedia.com with username **********@blueyonder.co.uk failed" I searched for the 'Saved Passwords'. There was a password there, but TB refused to allow it... giving me 'Retry' 'Enter New Password' and 'Cancel' I tried entering a new password but to no avail. 

Uninstalled, then reinstalled TB... no joy. Same thing happens.

It's my main email, so all a bit annoying as I don't want to miss anything vital.

Tried clicking on "https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Deleted-Messages/Mailbox-is-unavailable/td-p/4771528/jump-to/fi... as recommended on forum, but got "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue."

Can anyone assist, please?

Happy New Year and all that!

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Following maybe of help Email accounts locked, mailbox unable, unable to access email account, malware letter; if not post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

BTW this is a public forum so please do not post personal information; forum moderators have been notified to delete your email address from previous post.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mrleg wrote:

Can anyone assist, please?

Edited to add - In addition to the advice from @用心棒 

So what error message do you get when you try to sign into your Blueyonder email address directly via the Virgin Media website? You can do that from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Email clients such as email phone apps and Thunderbird give fairly generic error messages and they tend to default to suggesting it's a password issue when usually it's a bit more complex than that.

The error message from the VM webmail will give a more definitive reason for the login failure.

One final question, are you still  VM broadband customer or was that Blueyonder address set up under an old broadband account that has since been closed?

Coenoby

Apologies 用心棒 you beat me to it. I have left my post unchanged, hope that's ok.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

1. Error message I get is "Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices. If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary."

2. I've been with Virgin since 2001. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mrleg 

"Your mailbox is not available at the moment......"

Thanks for coming back with that information.

In that case you need to follow the advice in the link that 用心棒 provided to see if you can unlock the account yourself.

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Situation resolved. I got my password reset by the helpful lady on the phone.

Email and TB working as normal.

Many thanks for you help 

Hey @mrleg,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I'm glad to hear that you have managed to get your issues resolved with help from our support team.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L