cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird not working with virginmedia mail following re-install

GeoffB
On our wavelength

After having to reinstall Thunderbird after PC repair, although I can see my Inbox and sent folder containing the emails generated on Virginmedia's web mail from my laptop while awaiting my PC, if I now try to send/ receive in Thunderbird I get the error message "Non-overridable TLS error occurred. handshake error or probably TLS version or certificate used by server imap.virginmedia.com is incompatible" Can anyone help please?  

5 REPLIES 5

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @GeoffB,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issue with your Thunderbird.

It could be an idea to reset your password for your My Virgin Media, then re add the IMAP details into Thunderbird - Please can you follow the steps here. Let me know how everything goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

GeoffB
On our wavelength

Hayley,

Changed my My Virgin Media password as you suggested but this did not solve the problem (still get the pop-up message as shown in my previous post). What next?

GeoffB
On our wavelength

I tried deleting my two VM email accounts from Thunderbird but when trying to re-add them it failed with the message "Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username or password". I tried using the passwords for the email accounts and also the, recently changed, MyVirginmedia password but neither worked. I'll try uninstalling Thunderbird and re-installing it with the two accounts having ben deleted and try again.

GeoffB
On our wavelength

Success! Having deleted the accounts in Thunderbird I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. It immediately asked me to create new accounts and bingo. I've no idea which action was they key one. 

Geoff

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for keeping the thread updated with this 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.