Menu
Brachy8
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The iMAC Help data for setting up an account is not correct for MacOS 10.13.6

The fields shown in the Help Article don't match the fields which I get on my machine.

I am able to get e-mails to my ntlworld.com account on my iPhone, but unable to set up an account in High Sierra 10.13.6.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: The iMAC Help data for setting up an account is not correct for MacOS 10.13.6

Mail should automatically determine the correct setting, is it failing the verify process?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Brachy8
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: The iMAC Help data for setting up an account is not correct for MacOS 10.13.6

The automatic process to set up the account fails every time. Presumably because the operating system is not the latest?

Following the manual set up instructions also fail because it fails to verify User Name or Password.

The account works on my iPhone with the account set as a POP mail account. If I try using the IMAP settings, which the account was previously, it also fails.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The cause is unlikely to be the OS version.

To troubleshoot the issue can you enter the following command in a Terminal window where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com :Y54kpX5g:

AUTHENTICATION_CREDENTIALS=username:password

then the following command to test IMAP, POP3, and SMTP:

clear ;\
echo IMAP: ;\
curl -v imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u $AUTHENTICATION_CREDENTIALS 2>&1 | 
	grep -v "LOGIN" | grep "A0" ;\
echo POP3: ;\
curl -v pop3s://pop3.virginmedia.com -u $AUTHENTICATION_CREDENTIALS 2>&1 |
	 grep -v "USER\|PASS" | grep "\-ERR\|\+OK" ;\
echo SMTP: ;\
curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u $AUTHENTICATION_CREDENTIALS 2>&1 | grep "235\|VM"

Post the redacted results from the latter command here, i.e. from the text IMAP: onwards

0 Kudos
Brachy8
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that, but I now have my NTLWorld e-mail back. Not because of any suggestions I received or anything I discovered myself.

Here is what happened.

As well as my iMAC, I have an old MacBook Pro which I occasionally use for reading the newspapers in the morning.

I started it up this morning and as soon as it had completed its' boot up, I received a pop-up message that iCloud needed the password for my NTLWorld Mail account. As soon as I entered that, I had access to my Mail account.

I then went to my iMac and, as soon as it had completed start up, I received a notification that I has a 'new' Mail account, i.e. my NTLWorld e-mail.

All has been well since then.

Any ideas as to why this should be would be welcome!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good to read that the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos