cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you Dinesh

Donacler
Joining in

Am still having problems accessing my email account.  For some reason my mail box becomes inaccessible on a daily basis and I need to reset the password.  If I do it too often the mailbox gets locked (understandably/a security concern).  That said today when I rang the helpline Dinesh was particularly helpful, and if I'd been asked for feedback would have got a 10.  Fingers crossed it is a permanent fix.

18 REPLIES 18

...... and the same thing has happened again today.  I have just changed my password again.....  Am thinking that the only way to resolve is to sort out another non virgin media email address?

...... and it's Sunday and the same thing has happened again.  Am running out of new password ideas ....  I really would like a longer term fix etc

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Donacler,

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear you are still having issues, I can see if enabling your mailbox will help. I will pop you over a PM and we can go from there.

Zoie

Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated!

Hi Zoie, it's now Tuesday and after a whole day of having access to my mail box its just gone again?  If I phone 150 all they are going to do is reset the password, which I can do myself, isn't there anything else I can do?  All help appreciated, really appreciated!!  Claire

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for messaging with me Donacler, 

Glad enabling your mailbox seems to have worked.

If you have any issues please let us know and we can take another look.

Zoie

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Donacler wrote:

All help appreciated, really appreciated!!  Claire

Unlike @Zoie_P I am not a Virgin Media employee, so I hope you won't mind me butting in here.

I don't know whether you have seen this post from VM (it's right at the top of the list of forum threads) https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema...  It explains about resetting your email password to unlock the account.

You will see that post mentions VM's "spam and abuse system". Understandably VM don't give any detailed information as to how that works.

However, it would seem that something is continually causing the "spam an abuse system" to lock your email account. Resetting the password unlocks the account but presumably does nothing to address the issue that is causing the account to be unlocked.

One paragraph in that post says:

"In addition to the password reset, please also perform a full virus scan on all devices where you have used your email address to prevent your email address and IP address from being picked up by our spam and abuse system."

Personally I would go further than that and adopt a belt and braces approach, Scan with your usual AV but then scan again with a malware scanner such as Malwarebytes or with a different AV scanner. The second scanner may pick up an issue the first one missed.

I am not saying that if you do that it will stop your VM account be locked again, but at least you will have done all you can.

I noticed you mentioned in an earlier post on this thread about switching to a non VM email service. That is a great idea, the VM email service is very basic service and any of the mainstream services (see my link below) will give you an account which will:

• be more secure
  • be more reliable
  • be better supported
  • be better at filtering spam
  • and wlll not be deactivated  if / when you change your broadband provider.

(See here for some ideas https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-free-email-services)

I hope that's useful.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you Very Inisightful person, my mailbox has just 'gone' again so will follow your advice 

Hi Donacler,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this. 

Please let us know how things are after the recommendation from coenoby.

^Martin