Menu
DaftClanger
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Texts and letters about deleted email used for spam

I keep receiving text messages and letters from VirginMedia saying my VirginMedia Mail account may have been used to send spam, and that the accounts have been locked.

I had an NTLWorld account when it was taken over by Virgin but haven't used those addresses in years, and have been promised repeatedly by Virgin technical support that they have been deactivated. And yet I still receive frequent letters and text messages saying they're being used for spam.

I can't get into the Email account on virginmedia.com, the technical team tell me it's not their problem because the account's closed, everyone else says it's the technical team. Is there anyone at VirginMedia who can fix this? I've only been trying for a year or so to sort this, so I know it's still inside their usual resolution SLA.

If nothing else, can you just stop the waste of money and paper of the letters? I don't want my name and address on unnecessary branded correspondence some scrote could use as proof of ID.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Texts and letters about deleted email used for spam

Same advice as here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Delete-old-ntlworld-email-address/td-p/3892456

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
DaftClanger
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's appalling that you have to hope a forum moderator will spot your post to get a problem resolved, rather than have a first time fix when calling their support line. I tried again after receiving another text and letter, only for the person on the other end of the phone try to tell me I needed to reboot my router before they could assist me further. Outsourced support has never been worth the money its supposed to save.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sit tight on here.  The Forum Team should be able to assist but because this is first and foremost a community forum, it does take up to 7 days to respond to posts.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@DaftClanger wrote:

It's appalling that you have to hope a forum moderator will spot your post to get a problem resolved, rather than have a first time fix when calling their support line. I tried again after receiving another text and letter, only for the person on the other end of the phone try to tell me I needed to reboot my router before they could assist me further. Outsourced support has never been worth the money its supposed to save.

Outsourced support does for the most part work on straight forward issues, for example if someone's network connection is down or poor and the stats are off then they can book a technician, being as companies are always looking for the cheapest solutions in order to increase shareholder value, I can understand the appeal, even if I don't like it.

Certainly it would be of great benefit if first line had an escalation path to follow in cases like this, however being that their training is limited, I personally wouldn't trust them to get things right, (I probably shouldn't say that, but it is based on personal understanding of their technical prowess).

The Forum Team are all 2nd tier support and have escalation pathways that enable them to deal with situations like this though.  This may not be the ideal way to do things, but it does work.

Tim

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaftClanger,

I shall be able to help with this. Please respond to my PM (purple envelope, top right) with the requested information and I'll get back to you Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
DaftClanger
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jen,

you've been great, and I hope it's sorted now. I still don't understand why Virgin can't compare their own systems tobaee which accounts being spoofed for spam are no longer active and sort it internally rather than waste their money and our time with SMS messages and letters.

That it took a rant on here to fix rather than it being a simple first time fix on their support line shows how little customer satisfaction matters and how poor their support staff are. And yes I have worked in technical support centres so I know the pressures. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for Virgin Media myself but I would like to comment on your post with my own personal opinions.

I still don't understand why Virgin can't compare their own systems tobaee which accounts being spoofed for spam are no longer active and sort it internally

I've actually asked this before, and once again I would like to see this comment fed back to the security team.  Certainly when an account is dead on the front end but live on the SMTP backend, I see know reason why this could not indeed be picked up and resolved PRIOR to sending out warning letters.  Certainly it shouldn't have taken a year to resolve.  Can I also suggest that you consider putting in place an escalation path for 1st line support to raise concerns such as these properly.

The pedant in me won't let this bit go without a comment.

accounts being spoofed for spam

I would not call this spoofing.  The if they are authenticating and sending using your email address and password, then the account is live.  Spoofing is when someone who doesn't have access to an email account pretends to be sending as that person.  It is something that's very easy to do due to the way mail was designed, although it can be prevented by configuring a mail server to only accept the authenticated identities email address, (e.g. I have my own mail server, and that will ONLY let me send outbound mails using the email address I log on as, rather than a third party address and Yahoo while allowing sends via their SMTP servers for third party addresses DO actually make sure that you actually have access to that email address first).

On the other hand, if these mails are being sent through Virgin Media's servers (and the fact that Virgin Media sent you the letters proves this), the senders cannot send without authenticating first, to do that they need a valid email address and password.  So this was actually more a hacked account, albeit one that the hackers shouldn't have been able to use had it been closed properly on all parts of Virgin Media's email system.

It may seem churlish to pick up on the distinction, but when dealing with IT issues like this, sometimes you do need to be pedantic, as what works for one thing might not work for another.

@Jen_A - Can I request that security look at ways of identifying and closing down accounts that should no longer be live on the SMTP backend?

Tim

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaftClanger, 

I can confirm that all mailboxes are now completely absent from our central filing system. You can check for yourself via Mailtester Smiley Happy

Thanks for your patience and, if I've omitted an email address, please let me know. 

Kind regards Smiley Happy

@ravenstar68 - this has been queried previously and reasons were provided though I have to be careful I don't provide any company confidential information. I am querying it again though and shall be in touch :/

Jen
Forum Team

Julier21
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, we received a letter from security stating one of our email accounts was being used to send spam. The email account was then deleted. I have spoken with virgin but not to security as no number available, nothing has changed and I'm still receiving letters.  Ideally can virgin not completely delete the email address?

0 Kudos