cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch emails

Sooztoo
Tuning in

I use Outlook on my PC to access my Virgin emails.  Over time I have made a number of changes to my directory structure and moved emails around.  I now have a second device and have noticed that several of those changes have not been reflected on that device.  Checking my webmail I find that they are not reflected there either.  Is there a way that I can synch the changes on my computer back to my webmail so that they are picked up on all my devices?

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are accessing email on several different devices you are better off setting up IMAP accounts so that they all keep in step.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thank you for your respnse but these are IMAP accounts yet for some reason the changes to directory structure on my computer weren't all reflected back to the main account.  I don't know why but that is what I need to fix. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The IMAP accounts on the devices will follow the structure of the email database on the sever, so any directory changes must be made there - if permitted. You can change how they are arranged on each device, but that won't affect the server. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your response.  Many changes I have made to the structure have been reflected back to the server but some have not.  I am happy to make sure I make structure changes on the server in future but my question remains - is there any way to synch from my device back to the server?  Otherwise if I change computers I will lose a lot of emails that are on my device but in folders that have not been reflected onto the server. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Each device can only communicate with the folders on the server. If you want to structure your local folders differently, you will need to do that individually on each device. You'll need to keep local backups on each device to preserve that structure, but of course local backups are good practice in any case.

If you change your computer, providing you use the same email app you should be able to restore the same folder structure with its saved emails onto the new computer. 

- jpeg1

Sorry, I think I must not be clearly communicating what I want to do. 

I changed the email directory structure on my computer.  Many of the changes were reflected back to the server automatically so I assumed all would be.  Now I have more that one device I find that was not the case. 

I want to have the same structure on all devices and to be able to access all my emails on all devices so that if I move an email to a subfolder on one device it is moved there on all devices.  To do that I assume I would need to somehow reflect the structure and email content from my computer back onto the server.  Is there any way of doing this?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The server structure is defined by the provider. In the case of VM it's a very basic and not entirely reliable service, so most users with more complex requirements use something better. You might find that a paid-for service meets your needs. Or even your own self-hosted server.

Some else may have a detailed spec of exactly what you can and can't do with the VM service.

- jpeg1

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sooztoo 

Whilst logged into the relevant email account in VM Webmail click on the hambuger icon to the left of the VM logo and select settings.

Select Email and scroll to the bottom of the right hand screen until you see a large red button "Change IMAP subscriptions" Click on the arrow head to expand the list and then make sure that the folders you want to sync are ticked.  You will notice that the main webmail folders are greyed out and cannot be changed but any folder you have created should be able to be selected.  Click save changes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your response Graham.  Unfortunately the folders I created on my own computer are not showing in the list that I get when I select "Change IMAP subscriptions". The structure shown here is the same as the structure I see when I look at my webmail.