cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious activity on email account

Robmanic1
Joining in

Hpoing someone can help, I've been round in circles on this one!

Received a letter from Virgin stating "recently we noticed suspicious activity on your Virgin Media email account, so as a security precaution we have temprarily locked the mailbox below".

I've phoned and was promised a call back which hasn't yet materialised, also tried the online live chat and just ended up going nowhere. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this, is there anyone out there who may be able to help?

I can't reset my password as Virgin seem to have removed my existing security information.

TIA Rob 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Robmanic1 wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this, is there anyone out there who may be able to help?

I can't reset my password as Virgin seem to have removed my existing security information.

You are certainly not alone 😯

Just to give you a heads up, the suspicious  activity that VM refer to may well have been someone setting filter rules in your Webmail account to divert certain emails away from your account.

Whatever VM's reason for locking the account, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) should be able to get your account unlocked. They will contact you via this thread and take the necessary details from you securely via the forum's private message (PM) facility.

However, once you regain access you will need to secure your account by following all the advice here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked. One thing though, those instructions show you how to check whether the hacker has set an Auto Forward on your account. However, you also need to check for any rogue filter rules. That's easy to do, you should see "Filter Rules" as an option in the same menu as "Auto Forward".

Bear in mind that if the hacker has set rules to filter emails from organisations such as eBay, Amazon or any of your online accounts you will need to check those accounts as well because the hacker may well have gained access to them and made fraudulent transactions.

Keep an eye out for a reply from the Forum Team. Hopefully that should be in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Robmanic1 wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this, is there anyone out there who may be able to help?

You are certainly not alone 😯

Just to give you a heads up, the suspicious  activity that VM refer to may well have been someone setting filter rules in your Webmail account to divert certain emails away from your account.

Whatever VM's reason for locking the account, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) should be able to get your account unlocked. They will contact you via this thread and take the necessary details from you securely via the forum's private message (PM) facility.

However, once you regain access you will need to secure your account by following all the advice here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked. One thing though, those instructions show you how to check whether the hacker has set an Auto Forward on your account. However, you also need to check for any rogue filter rules. That's easy to do, you should see "Filter Rules" as an option in the same menu as "Auto Forward".

Bear in mind that if the hacker has set rules to filter emails from organisations such as eBay, Amazon or any of your online accounts you will need to check those accounts as well because the hacker may well have gained access to them and made fraudulent transactions.

Keep an eye out for a reply from the Forum Team. Hopefully that should be in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Robmanic1,

Welcome to our Community Forum. Thank you for your first post, and I'm really sorry to hear that you have been impacted by this issue.

I have not been able to locate your account on our system, so in order to find it, I will send you a Private Message. Through this I will be able to look into this issue further and raise an IT ticket to have this resolved if needed.

Please keep a look out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina, managed to get in to my emails finally, unfortunately I can't now log in again, seems my password has been changed and also my secure question, can you help?

Best regards,

Rob

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Robmanic1 wrote:

unfortunately I can't now log in again, seems my password has been changed and also my secure question,

I've just popped back to give you this link again https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked . Once you get back into the account it is essential that you follow all the advice there. If you don't do that this cycle will just repeat.

Merely changing the password is not enough to keep the hackers out.

Coenoby

Sorry to hear that you're having issues once again Robmanic1. 

Can we ask what happens when you click the forgotten password option? Is this when it ask for your secure question? 

It may be that we will have to change it to a temporary one from our end whilst you log back in.

I will pop you over a private message to take some details and get this done for you.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Robmanic1,

Glad to hear you're back in and everything is up and running. Please make sure you have changed your pass word for security reasons.

If you have any further issues please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi.