cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly locked out of my account after 20 years - I have some many personal precious memories there!

dianet
Joining in

Hi there - can anyone please help me?  I have found that since Wednesday I have been locked out of my virgin email account that I have held for the last 20 years or so!

I have many precious photographs and messages there from my late father, loads of great correspondence from friends over the years, and of course loads of business communications.

Is there anyone there who can unlock my account please - I haven't intentionally been sending anyone spam etc.

I am no longer a customer of Virgin but I had no idea that I would suddenly lose my account out of the blue - there has never been a warning!

I have quickly set up a Gmail account so that I can have one for the future - but I would like to retrieve all my precious emails and forward them to my new Gmail account.

From a public relations point of view, I am not sure what Virgin gains by this action - and if it really must close old accounts, why on earth was there no warning?

Best wishes,

Diane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Under the terms and conditions your email should be shut down 90 days after you leave Virgin, but they often hang around a lot longer, virgin may be able to grant you temporary access if the deletion process hasn't gone too far 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Under the terms and conditions your email should be shut down 90 days after you leave Virgin, but they often hang around a lot longer, virgin may be able to grant you temporary access if the deletion process hasn't gone too far 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ns77
On our wavelength

I dont think it's you i haven't been able to get in to my account all day either 😞 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'm sorry you are in this position, and hope that you can retrieve what you need.

But as has been said many times, email is designed to exchange messages. It is not meant to be a permanent store for vital data. Anything important shouild be saved off line under your own control.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

dianet
Joining in
Suddenly locked out of my account after 20 years - I have some many personal precious memories there!

yesterday

Hi there - can anyone please help me?  I have found that since Wednesday I have been locked out of my virgin email account that I have held for the last 20 years or so!

I have many precious photographs and messages there from my late father, loads of great correspondence from friends over the years, and of course loads of business communications.

Is there anyone there who can unlock my account please - I haven't intentionally been sending anyone spam etc.

I am no longer a customer of Virgin but I had no idea that I would suddenly lose my account out of the blue - there has never been a warning!

I have quickly set up a Gmail account so that I can have one for the future - but I would like to retrieve all my precious emails and forward them to my new Gmail account.

From a public relations point of view, I am not sure what Virgin gains by this action - and if it really must close old accounts, why on earth was there no warning?

Best wishes,

Diane

Diane

I have escalated this to the forum team who will offer to contact you via a direct message for further details and they will, I’m sure, do what they can to retrieve your messages on a temporary basis to give you time to copy anything you need before the mailbox is deleted completely and irretrievably.

But please, please don’t regard email as a sort of eternal filing cabinet - believe me, it absolutely isn’t.

Best wishes

John 

Hi dianet

Thanks for posting. I'll do what I can to help you in this case via PM.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

@John_GS @dianet 

Well that was quicker than even I expected!

Diane, at the very top of the page will be a little purple envelope with a 1 on it ( once John_GS sends the message), click on it and it will open the private message he has sent you, if you reply with the information they need to verify your identity and confirm the details then they will do what can be done to help you - but I must emphasise that time really is of the essence here.

Thanks jem101

@dianet - I'm back at 8am if we run out of time tonight. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill