Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Still unable to send ntlworld emails using Thunderbird

Like others, I've been experiencing problems over the last few days sending emails using Mozilla Thunderbird.  The error message currently is: Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com failed with xxxxxxx@ntlworld.com.  (Can send emails using webmail.)  Tried seeking advice from Virgin Media by phone but got absolutely nowhere as I'm not the account holder and, even after explaining that the account holder (spouse) cannot speak due to a degenerative medical condition, the rep refused to engage in further conversation with me. Not a clue what to do now.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Still unable to send ntlworld emails using Thunderbird

@MrsD1 wrote:

Like others, I've been experiencing problems over the last few days sending emails using Mozilla Thunderbird.  The error message currently is: Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com failed with xxxxxxx@ntlworld.com.  (Can send emails using webmail.)  Tried seeking advice from Virgin Media by phone but got absolutely nowhere as I'm not the account holder and, even after explaining that the account holder (spouse) cannot speak due to a degenerative medical condition, the rep refused to engage in further conversation with me. Not a clue what to do now.

Sorry to read about your spouse's health problems.

As for your email problem, this is an issue affecting a number of VM customers and has been ongoing since the weekend.  Unfortunately VM seem to be struggling to find a solution. Nothing you can do until they find a resolution.

Whilst not ideal you could use the VM webmail interface to send emails until this is resolved. https://mail2.virginmedia.com

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This an issue that's been affecting VM for a few days now 😞  It appears to be a problem with one of the backend servers responsible for dealing with SMTP authentication rather than the SMTP server itself.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@MrsD1 

You are not to take this post personally. It is not directed to you, but rather VM via its team on this site and their management @ModTeam and @Kev_B  because of the treatment you appear to have received.

This is indefensible. And VM should apologise to you immediately. There would have been no breach of customer confidentiality and the data protection regime if VM had told you that there was an ongoing fault with the e-mail system which was affecting sending mail using e-mail clients. It isn't a state secret and was being discussed on this open public forum endlessly before you posted, or probably even when you phoned VM.

You would have only been given information that was publicly available and I see no reason why you shouldn't have been given that information, irrespective of whether the actual customer was you, your husband or the man in the moon.  Telling you to use VM web mail (a poor substitute for some) would not have been a breach of confidentiality either.

A sensitive  customer service rep would have listened to your disclosure about your husband and acted appropriately. The fact that they chose to stand on their dignity is not what you had the right to expect.

VM know from my history with them on this Forum that I will be the first to speak up when VM are accused of wrong-doing inappropriately. But I will also be the first to speak up for its customers (which includes me) when they behave with little empathy and no commonsense.

I expect to see something positive from the VM staff here as soon as possible.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is my first time here so thanks everyone for your responses.  The problem associated with Thunderbird still continues but now sending emails using webmail..

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM are collating these incidents so I am adding you to the list. Another one where sending fails.

@Nathan_B 

There is a work round for this issue which has now been developed. I am loathe to recommend these because it involves changing settings and then changing them back when the issue is sorted. But if you are interested read this thread where ravenstar68 explains what to do and how to do it in T/bird.:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-Send-Blueyonder-emails-since-TUESDAY/td-p/4005588

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have VM given any indication of when this will be fixed?

Like an idiot I got caught out with a new PC and was installing my Outlook client so now have no access to any email held on the servers as of course I cannot setup whilst this problem prevails. I knew I should have archived all to a local file.

OK, yes I can use the webmail, but I don't like it. Outlook is much easier. Slowly swapping everything to another provider now. Probably vote with my feet when my contract is up.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@NealE64 wrote:
Have VM given any indication of when this will be fixed?

Like an idiot I got caught out with a new PC and was installing my Outlook client so now have no access to any email held on the servers as of course I cannot setup whilst this problem prevails. I knew I should have archived all to a local file.

OK, yes I can use the webmail, but I don't like it. Outlook is much easier. Slowly swapping everything to another provider now. Probably vote with my feet when my contract is up.

You can set it up to work but the hack has to be set up manually.

Essentially set the account up manually - set outgoing server to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk smtp.virgin.net or smtp.ntlworld.com port 465 SSL/TLS but leave authentication turned off.

This will allow you to send so long as you are sending from a VM IP address.  It won't help you if you're away from home though.

As to when it'll be fixed.  Who knows?  Phone support have been quoting 24/48 hours since Monday - but that seems to be their standard excuse to get people off the line.  Some one needs to teach them about under promise and over deliver.

I'd love to be able to give you a fix time but Virgin Media haven't even posted this up on the status page, so I'm certainly not going to be making one up.

I've a good idea of the cause of the problem (hence the work-a-round) but I'm not privvy to Virgin Media's actual set up.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim.

Tried that but still no joy. The new layout for Outlook 365/16 or whatever it is now is rather restrictive even in manual setup. Bizarrely a secondary virginmedia email works bit not my primary ntlworld one.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@NealE64 wrote:
Thanks Tim.

Tried that but still no joy. The new layout for Outlook 365/16 or whatever it is now is rather restrictive even in manual setup. Bizarrely a secondary virginmedia email works bit not my primary ntlworld one.

Have you tried going into the adding the account through Windows Control Panerl->Mail Outlook 2016 instead?  That still uses the old dialogs on mine.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos