Menu
rokster71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still can't send emails, 2 years and counting....?!

Hi there,

As the subject states I have not been able to send email from my blueyonder account for 2 years maybe even longer because I gave up constantly trying to fix it after it just miraculously stopped working one day.  Like many others I have read about right here on this forum I can view my email from my account but cannot send emails out unless I use the virgin media webmail online.  I am an extremely tech savvy person and now have tried all the work around's and fixes I can find here and unfortunately none of them work for me atleast.  Now over the 2 years or so i have reformatted , rebuilt , reinstalled blah blah blah.  The main constant is that no matter what program I use whether it be outlook or thunderbird or windows 10 mail or take your pick, they all fail to send email using my blueyonder account. I have checked and checked and double checked all settings.  I firmly believe that some sort of link has been severed concerning my email address and the server that it resides on as it makes no sense what so ever to be able to see only from the online webmail program. I have now started new employment where iI have to rely heavily on my blueyonder account working and it's just not always convenient to logon to the web to send email when i am out on the road etc and can use my phone etc if its would just work. This is not a setting I am doing wrong or I would have realised it by now.  Please help as this is just getting ridiciously old and frustrating.  I apologise for the rant but frustration on this problem has eroded my patience to paper thin.

Thankyou

Brian Mair

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still can't send emails, 2 years and counting....?!

What settings are you using in the email client ?

0 Kudos
rokster71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

currently using settings as layed out here :
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

for oulook and windows ten mail , very similar for ipad and mac and also andriod
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If this has been going on for 2 years then you need to be able to find definitive proof of why the mails are failing.

Have a read of this here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

I'm not aware of how to turn on logging in Windows 10 mail so the best approach is to use Thunderbird and launch it with the script given in the post to enable SMTP logging for that session.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@rokster71 wrote:

I have now started new employment where iI have to rely heavily on my blueyonder account working and it's just not always convenient to logon to the web to send email when i am out on the road etc and can use my phone etc if its would just work.

Thankyou

Brian Mair

I'm sure the community members (and the forum team if required) can get you up and running again - so please follow the steps recommended (especially ravenstar68).

But I'd like to add that if you need access to email for work, your employer should provide it!  VM is not providing it for business purposes, and if VM mail is down locally or globally, you will not have any recourse to complain.

If you really have to have a private email address, then get a separate one that you can use specifically for work.  Then you won't be tied to keeping VM broadband JUST to have the email address.  You'll probably get better spam filtering, too!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

But I'd like to add that if you need access to email for work, your employer should provide it!  VM is not providing it for business purposes, and if VM mail is down locally or globally, you will not have any recourse to complain.

It's important to make a distinction between email access needed for work and email access needed for business purposes as the two are not the same.

If an employer requires that you have a valid email cor contact purposes (and with the rise in legitimate work from home jobs, this is becoming increasingly common), this is not the same as a company using a Virgin Media email address as their main point of contact for business purposes.  Virgin Media does actually make that distinction in their T&C's as well as the use of the internet connection for working from home.

Tim

MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:
It's important to make a distinction between email access needed for work and email access needed for business purposes as the two are not the same.

Tim

Thanks for the clarification, Tim.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
rokster71
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, and thank you for the swift responses. My email is not used for for business but so i can reply to email etc from my employer for things like my hours to be worked etc. I have just ran the batfile for thunderbird which is a clean install with only my blueyonder account added and have the results I think you are looking for hopefully.

[4152:Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 0
[4152:Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-know-smtprelay-8-imp hello

also in the same result was the following error:

[4152:Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 0
[4152:Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304)

I have to go to work now and will check the forum once it get back, and once again than you for you attention on this issue.

Brian
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@rokster71 

Thanks for that.

@ModTeam - Can you ask one of the Forum Team members to take over here.  VM304 is a well known error that indicates an issue on Virgin Media's LDAP backend.  It needs escalating to IT to resolve it.

Tim

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello rokster71

Thank you for bringing this email issue to our attention.

What I am able to do is get this fixed as @ravenstar68 and @MissPasko have advised. 

I would a few more bits of information from you first 

This will be done by Private message "purple envelope top right of your screen"

Once that has been done and our IT Team have fixed the issue 

I will jump back on here to let you know

Regards 

Gareth_L