Menu
Tonywilkinson
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Spark email app

I have just installed the latest version of the above app on my iPad Pro. I can set up my gmail account but cannot set up my ntlworld accounts on imap. Has anyone else had the same problems and found an answer?

i have tried emailing readdle the producers of the app but have not got any response whatsoever. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spark email app

0 Kudos
Tonywilkinson
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have. It comes up with several responses. Cannot make stable connection or cannot authenticate using current credentials. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"A stable connection to the server could not be established" usually means that either the port number is wrong and/or SSL is not correctly specified. Similarly, "cannot authenticate" means the authentication details are wrong. Please double check your VM mail settings here - 

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I haven't used Spark Myself, but I did download it and have a look at the setup.

For some reason, it was unable to automatically set up my blueyonder account either.  However by tapping Show Advanced Settings I was able to manually enter the server settings.  Both incoming and outgoing username and password were populated from the information on the first screen.

sparkset.JPG

If you simply use 

imap.ntlworld.com
smtp.ntlworld.com 
in the appropriate places.  The ports and SSL settings are the same.for all four Virgin Media domains

For username and password make sure you are using your ntlworld.com email address and password.

HTH

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Tonywilkinson
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response and effort to solve my problem.

This afternoon, I deleted all mail apps from my iPad, and then tried again to load the first of my ntlworld email accounts, on the second attempt it accepted the details which you have confirmed in your post.

I then installed my gmail account and it found that easily.

I tried to install my other ntlworld account and encountered "Unable to authenticate with the current session's credentials"

I am at a loss as to what to do next. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tonywilkinson,

I'm not familiar with that app or the error message either. However it does sound as though the previous session (the Gmail account) is remaining active. Could you terminate that session and then relaunch the app?

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
2Caipirinhias
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problems. I have notified the same people that the originator has, as well as asking Apple for some help. Nothing yet.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Resurrecting a thread that's nearly a year old - Wow!!

As said before I don't normally use Spark myself, but I did reinstall it and have another go with multiple accounts.

Here's what I found.

1. I could install the following three accounts successfully.
    Personal address use Mail-in-a-box IMAP and SMTP
    Blueyonder email address
    Virgin Media email address
  2. I did encounter an "Cannot authenticate with current credentials." error, but it turned out I was pasting the Mail-in-a-box forum password in rather than my email password (doh!).
  3. I can access all three accounts quite happily.
  4. That Spark uploads the account settings to the cloud by default.  Useful for when uninstalling/reinstalling.

Now as the iPad mini and iPad Pro both use iOS there is no difference between the OP's device and my own.  So we can conclude the following.

The issue is NOT with the app itself.

Also be aware that the manual settings I posted for my blueyonder account are now out of date.  Although they do work.  Virgin has updated the preferred servers.  I manually set up the Blueyonder account to use the correct servers.

From Add account choose Other for the account type

Enter the FULL email address and password but DON'T tap log in.

Spark1.JPG

Instead tap show advanced settings.

Spark2.JPG

Enter the server name and ports as above.  Note smtp defaults to port 587 StartTLS - you MUST change this to 465 SSL.

Tap Log in, if you have entered the email address and password correctly you'll be taken to the next screen.  If either are incorrect you'll get a message "Cannot authenticate with current credentials."

Enter your name, the Title can be anything you want, it's just the name that will show up in the account list, I choose to just call this Blueyonder.

Spark3.JPG

Tap done and it SHOULD add correctly.  Here's my current list of accounts set up using the app.

Spark4.JPG

If you're still having problems please provide more detail than "I'm having the same problem."  And we'll try to advise.

Tim

Note: the above settings are identical for ALL Virgin Media email addresses

blueyonder.co.uk
ntlworld.com
virginmedia.com
virgin.net

Simply put the FULL email address in as the user name.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
2Caipirinhias
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the response, sorry to resurrect an old issue, but it is new for me. I have done every thing you describe below and am still getting the authenticate issue for the Virginmedia account.

Not sure what else to try, unless you can see what I have done wrong here. And yes of course I had my full email address written in before I pressed 'Add'.

Virginmedia_1.jpegVirginmedia_2.jpeg

0 Kudos