Menu
vmalt00mp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Spamcop blocking VM SMTP host/s?

I don't think that my IP address has been blacklisted.

Email sent via Virgin Email SMTP server was rejected because the IP address 80.0.253.75 is blacklisted by Spamcop. The IP address resolves for me to spc1-folk1-3-0-cust74.asfd.broadband.ntl.com.

Checked my IP address in case that has been blacklisted

Checked the IP address at Spamcop the IP address resolves to know-smtprelay-omc-11.server.virginmedia.net for them. Here is copy of some of the text from the check (change of colour and emphasis are mine).

80.0.253.75 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 9 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

Automatic delisting

If you are the Network Owner/User of know-smtprelay-omc-11.server.virginmedia.net and you are sure it will not be the subject of any more reports of spam, you may cause the system to be delisted without waiting for us to review the issue.

https://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=80.0.253.75 

Have I got the diagnosis wrong and so have to check everybody's devices to see what they have installed?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
vmalt00mp
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spamcop blocking VM SMTP host/s?

Forgot to mention that my public IP address is the IP range 81.xxx.xxx.xxx so I think it is in an adjacent class A range to the IP address that Spamcop have blocked.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

Due to the nature of query.

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to have a look at it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi vmalt00mp,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you are having IP issues. Are you unable to send emails?

Cheers,

Corey C

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Corey_C 

I'm going yo drop you a PM

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

vmalt00mp
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Dear Corey,

No general problem sending emails.

Another member of household tried to send email to third party this morning. The email was rejected because the VM SMTP server was/is blacklisted by Spamcop. After this message failed, they sent another email to another address as the third party, this appears to have got through. They use local email software which is configured to send email via you SMTP "server" (presumably a HA or round-robin service).

I have just sent a test email from my VM email account (web UI) to my primary non-VM email account, no problems.

The reply email referred to the email address of a VM server, not our public IP address.

I checked the IP of the VM server and Spamcop reports that it is a VM server and that it is on their blacklist.

See my original message for more evidence.

Happy to be told what I have missed.

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@vmalt00mp you haven't missed anything, your analysis is correct. @Corey_C needs to have this escalated to VM's email and security teams which I'm sure is exactly what @ravenstar68 is arranging with him right now!

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, vmalt00mp and also thanks to jem101 and ravenstar68 for clarifying. I have now sent this to the Internet Security team to investigate.

Cheers,

Corey C

G_Lancaster
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey 

Could I add to this stream to inform you that I am having simiar problems in that I am unable to send emails to any of our company email addresses when using our virginmedia provided internet access.  The problem does not occur when emails are sent via 4G hotspot. Emails to other address hotmail/gmail/virginmedia etc are not affected.

The bounce back message states:

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

550:550-"JunkMail rejected - know-smtprelay-omc-11.server.virginmedia.net
550-[80.0.253.75]:34088 is in an RBL: Blocked - see
550 https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?80.0.253.75"

It would seem that spamcop has blocked the VM IP 80.0.253.75 and this in turn is blocking our own emails.  FYI, we have checked our own IP as well as that of the server that manages our emails and they have not been blacklisted anywhere.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

Sorry to see this has occurred to you as well. I will send this to account security as well. Has anyone been in touch with SpamCop to see why these IPs are being blocked by them?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos