Menu
Highlighted
tjlowe1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Spam

Hello, 

the last couple of days I've been bombarded with spam emails "AGAIN" , is anybody else having this problem and is there a simple way of stopping them.

thanks

0 Kudos
EdwardRD
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam

Hi, yes I've been getting an increased number of spam today, 30+ emails for Bitcoin and something else. They appear to be coming from Amazon AWS, 52.52.212.208 and 52.9.1.183 are two of the IP addresses. I've reported this in the past to Amazon but they don't seem to care about any proactive investigation. I got a "if it happens again let us know" kind of rsponse.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam

I can only sympathise. There is no simple way to stop spam. Your email address has fallen into the hands of a spammer. They don’t need anything other than your address to send you a spam email – and they could have acquired your address by hacking the email system of ANYBODY (individual or business) you have ever communicated with by email since the year dot. 

If the spam has any common factors you can set up a filter rule to move any such emails directly to the spam folder - for example -

(a) anything containing the word “bitcoin”, or, “CONGRATULATIONS” or “You have won”,

(b) anything where the from address has slight variations to try to avoid filtering – say -xxxspamshopnnn where the address consistently contains “spamshop” but the other letters and numbers change slightly every time - so you specify "spamshop" in the filter. 

See this for guidance on setting up filters -

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

It’s an unfortunate probability that the longer you use any given email address the more likely it is to fall into the hands of a spammer at some stage of its existence. 

You have the ability to set up new addresses in VM or with other mail suppliers and you could switch to using a new address every few years. That at least mathematically reduces the risk.

0 Kudos