cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam filters constantly capturing valid emails - driving me mad!!

louiscar
Up to speed

I am so sick of the spam filters grabbing messages which are totally valid.
There is nothing I can do that will change this. The so called "learn" function does NOT work in the least (not in my client anyway) and all whitelists are ignored completely.

Here are some of the domains VM insist on putting into the spam folder no matter what.

blindsuk-newsletter.co.uk
blinds-2go.co.uk
wdstore.com
evga.com
bbcgoodfood.com
panasonic.eu
greenpeace.org
hotukdeals.com
companieshouse.gov.uk

That's not the whole list either and it's just driving me spare because I cannot for the life of me change this ridiculous behaviour.

10 REPLIES 10

FOREWARDING OF EMAILS-  

I also have and still do use forwarding of emails and have  one main  email address which I forwarded all my other emails to that.

Perhaps it is best to keep thing simple and separated.

I have had issues with forwarding also, forwarded emails often go to spam and the number of emails can quickly mount and become hard to manage and all mixed up. I have reduced my forwarding as it got too complicated and now open all emails rather than just one main email, some will stop working after 90 days of inactivity including virgin email, so best to log into all emails regularly.

There is also a security issue concerning forwarding, if one email is hacked it gives out other contacts you may want to keep private so best to keep each email separate and not linked to other emails.

I prefer secure emails with 2 step authentication.

There may be a case for forwarding if you want a backup copy kept for some reason, by simply forwarding all emails to another email address, or if you replace an exisiting email with a new one but want to monitor the old email for messages. It can cause a big issue if the email is de-activated because the forwarding remains and difficult to remove once the email is no longer active or taken over by hackers.

FILTERING

Most emails have filtering which can be used to perform a variety of actions, I have some set up for convenience which direct emails to folders, but they need to be accurate conditions or files end up in the wrong folders and sometimes the filters glitch.

My own email filter rules cosist of -

blacklist

autoforward

whitelist filter (to inbox)  do not tick susequent

spamfilter(and or holdingfile) (to spam folder)

otherfolders  (29 that I use). but some can be manual requiring a manual transfer from the inbox after reading the email if you need to keep it for records.

Filters can be useful for storing emails from one sender, all together. The filters need constant updating for the whitelist/spam but once set up help to manage , so you can help to control the inbox, not easy but possible.

A holding file can be used for spam as an alternative to the spam folder, this reduced the risk of loosing emails after 30 days in the spam folder.

So I currently have 33 separate filters which work most of the time, keeping my inbox clear, but any emails  that are important need to go to the inbox.

There is a discard option in filters but I do not use this, prefering to blacklist some spam senders.

I monitor the spam and it is easily recognised, but some phising emails can look genuine and mimic regular genuine emails so always check who has sent the emails. If spam does get through to the inbox, move it to the spam folder for virgin to be aware of the spam, or it can be deleted.

alf28