cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam emails

Alex893
Tuning in

Hi, I am receiving emails to this account United Kingdom - VirginMedia <vme@info.emailselections.org>
could anyone explain why and how to stop. 
I know that they are spamming or trying to spam me. 
This is not my account to be clear. 
Thanks

31 REPLIES 31

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi,

Thanks again. Following those instructions gives:

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given the rule should have matched that email can you confirm there are no preceding rules set to not process subsequent rules, for example, rule 2 below is thus set:
2022-01-17.jpeg
where if rule 2 is matched the subsequent rule 3 will be ignored.

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi,

I can confirm there are no preceding rules set to not process subsequent rules. Each has a red down arrow. And each says "process subsequent rules" next to a blue box/white tick at the bottom when opened to edit.

Gordon

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I am stumped for the moment and can only think to reconfirm that the email in question is delivered to your Inbox and not Spam folder, is that correct?

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi,

Yes, it is delivered to my inbox. Just one more question please: I have the filter set to 'discard' should that not delete the email rather than sending it to spam if the filter 'works'?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, an action of Discard should result in permanent deletion unless other matched rules have an action of Keep.

gfp
On our wavelength

OK. That's what I thought. No, there is nothing with Keep.

Many thanks for your help. I am much better educated about Rules, even though we haven't really addressed the problem. If it persists I think I will start a new thread, posting all my evidence.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is regrettably true. There is enough evidence already here to show the rule is not working as expected so maybe worthwhile waiting for the forum team to reach this thread to see what they can do.

BTW: when creating an initial rule or to debug one consider using an Action of Set colour flag to provide a visual confirmation of which rule last executed against a message.

Hi @gfp, and thanks to 用心棒 for all their help and support. Sorry to hear you are having issues with spam emails. 

Have you tried unsubscribing from their mailing lists here? Unsubscribe | Email Selections

Let us know how you get on. 

All the best. 

Molly

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi,

No, I haven't used unsubscribe. I would only unsubscribe from a service I have subscribed to. I never subscribed in the first place. I never unsubscribe or click any links in unsolicited emails. This organisation started sending me spam every day without me engaging with them in any way (I am also very careful about using apps and privacy, etc). They have used various From email addresses such as reply@ES(using ES for short).org; news@ES.org, Reply@ES.co.uk, etc.

They are registered in Netherlands and I have recently had phishing emails from that country. I know my email address has been discovered in previous system hacks so rarely use it now, and never for new contacts. But I have one or two important users who occasionally forget to use my preferred email and so I keep it live in order not to miss those emails.