Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam emails recognised as newsletters

@Kev_B @Ben_N @David_Pn 

I think some things need clarifying here.

1. The phishing@virginmedia.com address and the report phishing option on the netreport pages are to report phishing mails claiming to be from Virgin Media.
  2. Likewise the report spam option in netreport is to report inbound spam that appears to come from a Virgin Media email address or IP address.
  3. You need to get a copy of the mail/s that's triggering the News Letter notification from the OP and pass this to the email team.  If they are indeed a false positive then the team will need to investigate why the notification is being triggered and either reverse the change to the email system OR deal with the filtering mechanism so that it's not picked up if this is a false report.

Note the more different mails you get the better, as if they are indeed false hits, then the more you see the easier it is to build a pattern of what is happening.

I do understand why you put the filter in,  After all there's always been the situation where genuine newsletters have been marked as spam by users who do not realise that they failed to opt out.  I do understand the distinction between such genuine commercial email and spam, whilst many users do not.

However the tool to distinguish between the two is certainly rife for abuse by spammers - if you stop and think for a moment I'm sure you'll realise why.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Highlighted
smf4122
Tuning in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

that's kinda my point, I think I can decide for myself if something is a newsletter or not, why should Virgin think they should make that decision for me? 

smf4122
Tuning in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

An example of the problem is this...

bankonresults@e.edollarsinadash.com

in what universe can this conceivably be recognised as a newsletter? As a media company, surely you should be savvy enough to understand how dangerous this is? And then to compound it by putting an unsubscribe button on it, what are you doing? 

smf4122
Tuning in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

First of all, that was the address I forwarded several messages to but it came back as not correct. Secondly, this is still putting the onus on us to fix our own inbox problems and that's not the point, it's not about us marking a newsletter as spam by mistake, it's about virgin deciding for me that something is a newsletter when it absolutely is not and that is not a setting I have any control over. I have unsubscribed often and yet still continue to receive newsletters so yes I do sometimes end up marking them as spam in an attempt to stop seeing them. However they still remain, marked as spam, but still in my inbox no matter what I do. I feel from your response, you still seem to think this issue is in any way under the control of the user rather than the system operator and that is not the case. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS the only replies sitting on the fence are from the forum team (Virgin Media employees) as they await the outcome of their investigation; other replies fall on your side of the fence with regard to this issue.

@smf4122 wrote:

However they still remain, marked as spam, but still in my inbox no matter what I do. I feel from your response, you still seem to think this issue is in any way under the control of the user rather than the system operator and that is not the case. 

Sign into webmail and select  , Settings, then Email ▸, and confirm SPAM Settings is not set to leave spam in the Inbox.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Ben_N, any update to the investigation?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi @用心棒

Ben's away this week, but I have chased this back up with the relevant team. As soon as we have an update we will let you know. 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R