cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam & blacklist

wingates
On our wavelength

I am being bombarded by spam where the start oh their email address changes slightly every time so blacklisting each email is pointless. All come from `noreplyxxxxx@moma.org`  where the xs are different numbers all the time.Any help please?

63 REPLIES 63

I agree. Despite changing the spam filter to reject all spam, one from 'McAfee' came through into junk this morning. So, changing the filter is not the answer. VM has changed something else or the spammers have dodged its filter.

I've just been checking one of the emails that bypassed the filters and this is the HTML that was in the email:

<!-- Text with Title-->
<table class="at-MainTitle" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" align="center" width="83.3%" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0; margin: 0 auto; max-width: 83.3% !important; min-width: 83.3% !important; width: 83.3% !important;">
<tr>
<td align="center" valign="top">
<div style="line-height: 36px"><strong class="at-blockHeader at-TitleHeader" style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:34px;line-height:36px;color:#333333;text-transform:uppercase;"> Your McAfee Antivirus Has Expired! </strong></div>
<div style="line-height: 36px"><strong class="at-TitlePostheader" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 32px; line-height: 36px; color: #333333; text-transform: uppercase;"></strong></div>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

<!-- End Text with Title-->

As you can see the html has no gaps in the word 'McAfee'.  Hopefully on Monday when the scammers start up again the filters will be tested again.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Sacers, @highroyds & @evaporator 

I'm very sorry to hear spam emails have increased recently, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused, 

Are you able to perform a password reset? Please ensure this isn't a password you've used before. 

Please keep us updated on how things perform from here in terms of how much spam you're receiving. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

highroyds
On our wavelength

Can I ask what a password reset has to do with spam getting past the filters?

Just an update, but I’ve received two emails regarding bitcoin now.

Password reset. Is this a serious solution 😂 . I am getting absolutely deluged with spam now. 17 spam emails in the last 4 hours. WHAT have you done virgin media

Changing a password is 1 of few steps we ask our customers to do to ensure that we cover any and all basis to help resolve their issue. 

If you don't wish to do so then that is your choice. 

^Martin

It does feel as if this Password Reset is just ticking a box on a standard checklist, like have you tried rebooting? It’s hard to see how it will have any impact on a sudden change in the amount of SPAM no longer detected by VM SPAM filter and now arriving in inboxes instead. 

What other steps are there that we can take? I’ve seen the huge thread on McAfee emails and the suggestions there don’t seem to be having much impact.

And from a VM perspective does anyone there know what has triggered the change? And is anything happening centrally at VM to make a difference?

I updated my password not long ago. And so far that’s the only step of the steps you are going to go through to resolve the issue. What’s the next step ? 

Getting 2 an hour at least. 

E4199553-3939-458F-89A5-6CDFF72B883C.png

Just tried to send a 'Mcafee' spam to phishing@virginmedia.com -- guess what, "cannot send email as SPAM detected"..... !!! LOL